• ✧- chapter six

Start from the beginning

"The good Lord says, don't conform to the ways of the world...no need to show off baby."

"Whatever man, I work hard for my stuff so why can't I show out? I'm the one paying for it so what's it to y'all?"

"Boogie let's just go man." I tried to reason with him but I could tell he was upset. I understood why though, he did work for his things and he even brought stuff for me as well so either way I had no room to knock his grind. My parents weren't ever the ones to buy us expensive ass clothing and they always excuse themselves from that by simply saying ' God says come as you are.' Yes that statement was and will forever be true but we all knew the fact of the matter was that we were borderline broke. Living in the projects just like majority of my school was. Our pops was working two jobs and my mom none and it still hadn't made much of a difference around here. Now that Boogie was able to help around the house and buy us all clothes with the money he has been earning and saving it might've just made them feel...like they wasn't shit but that was something they could never admit.

"Nah wait Monty I gotta get something off my chest." He began as he held his hand out stopping me from leaving the apartment. "Look I'm not working and doing what I'm doing for an applause from y'all or anything I'm just doing what I got to do. My grades aren't bad or nothing so why y'all giving me hell? Ain't nothing wrong with treating myself! God ain't never say I can't dress nice for once. God ain't never say I can't help pay the bills every now and then. Just cause y'all was never able to afford nothing...don't be mad at me only because I can now. Welcome to reality y'all...your sons practically an adult. " He scoffed just before turning around and shuffling out of the door leaving them both dumbfounded and leaving me to stand oddly in the middle of the kitchen.

"Have a good day at work pops...bye momma." I awkwardly left the apartment after noticing their inconsolable expressions. I knew what Boogie said hurt they feelings deeply but I had no say in the situation. But in my perspective of the whole entire ideal- our parents just needed to chill... I mean it wasn't like Boogie was a drug dealer or something.

• ✧•

"AYO MONTY! LEMME holla at you for a minute, b." I heard the familiar voice of Jabari calling out for me and I couldn't be more overjoyed.

Sike.

Jabari and I were no where near friends and he knew that for a fact. The only reason we actually even knew each other was due to the fact that Desirae and Darnell were so close to him. Although we weren't friends, we weren't enemies but I couldn't stand him and I could never really put my finger on the reason why.

"What is it?" I questioned, cutting straight to the chase. He seemed quite disoriented and tired as he stood breathlessly in front of me as we stood in front of my locker. His demeanor seemed worrisome and I couldn't help but stand there awkwardly waiting for him to speak.

"Yo uh...you seen Des around? I gotta talk to her." He came about saying making me remember Des and I's phone conversation when I made it home from her crib. It was obviously nothing new for her to be crying to me but it simply killed me every time. I despised that he would constantly be one of the reasons that tears even left her eyes...I guess that was the reason why I never liked him. I done told that girl hundreds of times that he would only give her hell but who am I to be giving my best friend advice?

"Nah man, I ain't hear from her since last night." I stated not really showing him the respect he thought he deserved as I placed my back to him, placing my books in my locker.