truthfully

RYAN POV

I stare into Joey's chocolate brown eyes. I can sense his fingers wrapped around the shiny chains at my sides, ten little snakes, coiled up, with me in their trap. I put my hands in my lap and look away. Whatever happens, don't bond with him. Don't try to talk to him. I don't know what he wants from me.

Joey looks at me. "I don't care who you are. I don't know who you are. But I can't just go on with my day knowing that a little kid got kicked out of his house and is living on the streets."

I clench my fists. "I'm not a little kid."

He shrugs. "Sure. But that doesn't change what I said."

"How did you even find out?"

"A kid named Bryan. You heard of him?"

I look up, then back down. "Uh, yeah. I know Bryan." The swing moves back a little. "What did he tell you about me?'

Joey opens his mouth, then closes it, then opens it again, and closes it again. I sigh and say loudly, "Just tell me what he told you already, you look like a dying fish." 

"That your dad kicked you out. For being gay."

I shrug. "Yeah, that's pretty much it." I say softly. I pull my knees up to my chest, the swing tips back slightly but I stay on. Joey looks at me. "So I wanna do something. About it. So that you don't freaking die out here in the cold." 

"What do you want to do? Keep me in your house? Your parents would probably freak out about their son bringing home another boy and saying that he's living with them now. And I don't think you have access to any-"

"We have a pretty big house. And my parents wouldn't really care. I don't think they'd even notice." He looks me in the eyes, and we stare at each other for a good ten seconds. I turn away. "I can't. There's no way I could-"

"Well, I don't want some kid living like this on his own. I saw enough of that around our first house, and it never ends well. I wanna change that for once. Keep everyone safe. Look," Joey presses his lips together.

"A week. Just one week. If you like you can stay longer. But for now, just one week. Is that okay?" I sigh. "Fine. Why do you even care?"

Joey shrugs. "I told you already."

"That's not the reason."

He sighs. "Jesus Christ, maybe I just wanna be nice. Am I not allowed to?"

I bring my knees up to my chest. "Whatever. I...I gotta go." I look up. "You probably do too. It's really late." Joey looks at his watch. "Shit."

He stands up and sprints back, then pauses and turns around. "After school. Meet me."

I wave. "Yep." And I watch him run off into the night.