Mopping Up and Taking Measure

Start from the beginning

"I suppose." Mordecai frowned. "Although I got the distinct impression that we were just mopping after a Katengaur operation."

It was Raven's turn to grimace.

"Damn her," she hissed. "She and Sonja have been jumping all over the city, with you now out of the way, going about their little 'hunt'. It's stirring what's left of the independent nations into a frenzy and the Brotherhood into a frustrated and murderous rage." Her grimace tightened, frustration flirting around the edges of the hard look. "And that could mean the Brotherhood bringing in another one of its destroyer cadres in an attempt to secure the city, if not level it outright!"

"I think leveling Calgary will damage the initiation of their project," Mordecai quickly pointed out, a thoughtful expression on his handsome features. "So the worst they'll do is attempt to secure the city again, nation by nation." He looked over at Raven. "No success in persuading Coyote and Brillman to help you restrain our loose cannons then, I take."

Raven sighed softly as she shook her head in frustration.

"You'd be taking it right, my friend," she said. "Brillman is more than happy to sit in his hotel room and watch the node get bigger and bigger. And Coyote, if she isn't working hard to stay neutral, has actually joined Katengaur and Sonja on a couple of her hunts. Making my job of protecting Avalon that much harder!"

Mordecai's eyebrow rose slowly at that.

"You've hooked up with Avalon?" he asked softly and Raven nodded.

"I figured it was the least I could do, considering everything that's going on in the city. And the work that you had done with them earlier. Work that got you nearly burned out, you idiot!"

The big man grinned at Raven's teasing smile.

"Yeah, well." He chuckled softly. "I didn't take proper precautions and got burnt!"

"Speaking of getting burnt, a pyroken dragon?" Raven shook her head, almost laughing out loud in amazement. "That was a nice touch! Not to mention the giant made out of the cars."

"Ah, you heard about that, did you?" Mordecai's smile broadened slightly. "Don't let Avalon's council fill your head with stories of my exploits. They are greatly exaggerated!"

"I doubt that!" Raven grinned openly. "Don't forget, I've seen you at work, my friend. You are quite spectacular."

"Maybe." Mordecai laughed softly then sobered. "But enough of that. We have a nasty genocidal plot to stop before the Normals are completely wiped out." He reached into his pocket to draw out a flat record crystal. "Here, the complete Armageddon Project file, decrypted. You'll find all the details of the Brotherhood's plans in there."

Raven nodded as she took the crystal, a thoughtful expression replacing the smile on her face.

"I'll give it a good look over, as well as pass any relevant information on to the Avalon council." She looked up at him. "In the meantime, what do you want me to do?"

"Help secure the city," Mordecai replied with a nod. "My allies have actually devised a good plan in making sure we can strike at the Brotherhood before they can launch their project. But, to make it work, we have to make sure that Calgary is secured, its borders closed so that no additional Brotherhood troops can make it into the city, either by translocation or standard Normal transit."

"Between Avalon and me, we'll have this city sewn up tight!" Raven assured him then frowned. "These allies of yours: Normals, I take."

"Yes. And before you ask, they've been thoroughly briefed on the Shield. Contamination has been contained and their exposure is minimal." Mordecai glanced over his shoulder. "Speaking of which, I better get back to the scene. My allies have created an artificial persona for me, one of a police officer. I better go and play my part."