Chapter 30: The Qos Viran

Start from the beginning

"But I forget myself and my civility. You humans feel the cold's bite more deeply than my people do. Please, step inside and you can tell me why you've returned to us."

It took but a moment for Duffy to nod his thanks and the two of them to step inside. Once inside, Lash closing the door behind them, Dee wasn't that surprised to find the interior of the house almost as cold as it was outside. As Lash just said, the vampires didn't seem to feel the cold as deeply as they did. Still, it was better than standing out in the strengthening wind that was starting to blow outside.

Now standing revealed in the unfettered light cast by the naked bulb illuminating the entryway Dee and Duffy found themselves in, Dee could see that the vampire named Lash was an almost arrogantly handsome man, with dark hair, flashing green eyes and swarthy skin. It was as she made her quick assessment that she caught sight of his bemused smile, which revealed the unmistakable fangs and she swallowed hard, any sort of physical attraction gone in a flare of cold fear.

"If you would be so kind to follow me," Lash said, stepping past the two humans and into what Duffy had supposed was some kind of living room when he and Mordecai had vacated this place early that morning.

Following the big vampire into the room, they swiftly took the seats he indicated they should with a gesture, plain wooden chairs that sat in the room's center. As they sat, he took a third wooden chair and sat himself, carefully crossing his legs to assume a studied posture of casual interest, as if trying to put the humans at ease.

So demanding was the big vampire's presence, that Dee and Duffy both found it hard to make a visual survey of the plain, unfurnished room. Instead, they gazed at Lash, minds whirling.

"So, Detective Duffy." Lash smiled close-lipped to keep his fangs hidden. "I trust that Mordecai is doing much better, considering that you and him were able to leave this morning without a great deal of trouble." Then the smile was gone and he was leaning forward slightly. "But enough of the pleasantries. What brings you back into the embrace of the Qos Viran, detective? Surely you didn't enjoy our company so much during the first encounter you had with us that you desired to spend more time in the presence of vampires."

"Uh, yes, well, I do have the Qos Viran to thank for saving mine and Mordecai's life," Duffy began, fumbling with the pronunciation of the alien-sounding name. "But I've actually come with a proposal for your consideration, if you'd give me the chance to present it to you."

"Of course," Lash replied, gesturing with a hand that Duffy go on. "I'm sure it must be interesting to thrust you back willingly into the lion's mouth."

"Um, indeed. Well, at least I hope so." Duffy smiled weakly before clearing his throat and going on, knowing the big vampire wasn't the most patient of creatures. It wouldn't take much for him to lose interest in keeping the two humans alive.

"As you are aware, the Brotherhood is operating in Calgary. While this isn't any news to you, what may be interesting is the fact that we've managed to uncover a plot by the Brotherhood to initiate a series of coups that will topple world governments, enabling them to supplant them with puppet regimes of their own."

Duffy almost paused as he watched Lash suddenly go tense, his eyes narrowing as his mind churned into high gear. Instead, clearing his throat yet again, he gamely pressed on.

"Once these puppet governments are in place, the Brotherhood then plans to systematically exterminate normal Humanity, and replace them with a psionic super race."

"What??" Lash husked hoarsely, nearly coming out of his seat at that, his eyes flying wide. Duffy hastily went on before he lost his nerve in the face of an obviously upset vampire.