Chapter Two

~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER TWO

~~~~~~~~~~~

-------------

Paris, 1889

-------------

"Wait, mademoiselle. You mean to tell me that you followed the monster into his lair?"

"Monster? Lair? I do beg your pardon, Monseiur. He is not a monster, and his home is not a lair. It was very humble, if I may be frank. Now, monseiur, may I please finish telling my story?"

--------------

Paris, 1864

--------------

I followed Erik deeper into the darkness of what lay beyond the gate of the Rue Scribe. I could not see a thing, except the glow of Erik's lantern. Naturally, I followed it. Soon enough, I saw Erik make a turn. I didn't turn fast enough, so I stepped in something wet.

A lake.

It came up to my ankles, soaking my shoes and the bottom of my dress. I turned my head to the right, and saw Erik climb into a boat.

No, I thought. I'll be lost down here forever if I don't do something.

As he started to row away, I called for him.

"Erik!" He stopped rowing and looked around. I saw him reach down for something. I almost fainted when I saw what he held. It was the Punjab Lasso that he used in Persia. The khanum loved to see Erik torture others with this horrifying device. I did not want to be its next victim.

"Erik, it's Lia! I know you didn't want me to follow you, but I had to! Please, Erik, I'm sorry if anything I said hurt you!" He set the rope down and began to row towards me. I could see that he was surprised.

"Ignorant girl. Why would you follow me?"

"Erik, I knew I couldn't just let you get away from me. You mean too much to me."

He sighed, and moved the things in the boat to make room for me.

"Climb in," he said. I did so, and I was relieved to be out of that freezing water. I sat down in the boat, and he began to row us farther and farther away from the outside world. Then, I heard the most amazing sound come from Erik. He was singing! It was so magical, and I couldn't believe that such a heavenly and pure voice existed.

"The water is wide,

I can't cross o'er.

And neither have

I wings to fly."

I started shivering. The freezing water and cold temperature of this place had begun to give me chills. Erik noticed this, and he took off his cloak and wrapped it around me.

"Give me a boat

That can carry two.

And both shall row,

My love and I."

He finished the song beautifully, and by then, I was entranced. I would do anything just to hear Erik sing again. His voice made me want to obey any command. I sat there, swaying side to side. I hoped he wouldn't see me, but he did. I wasn't sure if he smiled, since the mask covered his entire face, but I saw his mask wrinkle a little bit around his mouth.

"Are you alright, Lia?" I nodded, though I vaguely heard what he said. I felt the boat hit something.

"We are here. Come now." He held out his hand. I took it, and he pulled me up.

"Lia, you cannot stay here. I am too dangerous."

"Dangerous, how?" I asked. My voice still sounded strange. I assume I was still under his influence.

"Lia, I just," he let out a frustrated sigh, "I don't want to harm you. You saw what I was capable of in Persia, and you do not want to know what happened in Italy when I was a boy. I want to protect you from me, and the only way to do that is to keep you from me. I am doing this out of love, Lia."

"Wait...are you trying to say that you...love me?" His eyes grew large with worry. I took off the mask. I could see him blushing.

"I did not say that. I love you, but like you would love a mother, or a sister."

I nodded in agreement, though I did not believe a word he said. The way he treated me in Persia, in Italy, even, was beyond imaginable. He was so caring and thoughtful, and standing before him, I saw love in his eyes. Love for me.