|Prologue|

Vibrations fill the air as screams of a painful labor frighten the other expecting mothers. The sound of a tapping heel makes its way towards the room on the left at the end of the hallway. Doctors and nurses in and out, looks of panic upon their faces. A man, dressed in a ripped T-shirt and old work jeans sits opposite the room, head in his hands, tears threatening to escape his emerald eyes. His shaggy brown hair wet with persperation and pushed back as if he had done so his whole life.

The screaming slows, as if the pained mother was finally relieved.

"Its a girl." A doctor shouts. The man jumps to his feet, and rushes to his wife's side taking her hand and kissing her forehead.

"Mr. Vain, would you like to cut the cord?" A nurse asks him. He let's out a breath of air, and nods. He grabs a pair of medical scissors, and cuts the line of life still holding mother and child together.

"Collyn?" The tired new mother whispers.
"Its a girl. What was our name again?"
He contemplates using his voice, as shock and happiness overcome him. He had always wanted a daughter. He had vowed to always protect her.

"Embryn. Embryn Dawn." He states to the doctor. He holds his wife's hand, connecting their ajoining birthmarks. She smiles up at him, and looks as though she's about to ask what was already on his mind, before her body starts convulsing. Her eyes roll in the back of her head. and he feels her heart beating rapidly.

"Doctor!" He shouts, terrified of what was in front of him.
"Sir, you need to come with me." A nurse grabs his arm and his hand disconnects from his wife's lifeless one, just before he was rushed out of the room and locked out.
He shakes uncontrollably, pushing his hair out of his face yet again.

He jolts at the touch of a kind hand upon his shoulder, and glances to the nurse beside him.

"Sir. This is your daughter." He stares at the little bundle she is holding, and reality sinks in. He lightly holds out his arms to hold her, and is instantly overcome with newfound love as he gazes into the eyes of his newborn.

They are a shade of blue-gray, and he is trying with all his might not to let the wave of tears that are threatening his eyes to escape.

"My little Embryn." He quietly whispers.
"I love you so much."

He rocks her back and forth, and before the door of his wife's room opens to reveal a sober faced doctor, she falls asleep in his arms.

--a/n--

And the first official chapter is published! Let me know what you think. Feedback and criticism is welcome!