20: Luckiest

"Alec's looking for everyone." Emery's voice was hard, as she ducked her head in and out of Jace's room quickly. It had been a week or so since he and Clary broke up. Both of them ignoring and avoiding each other, Emery too was avoiding him.

Alec had asked everyone to come to the Library so they could talk. As head of the Institute it was his job to organize and host a yearly gathering at the Institute. Shadowhunters from all over would gather once or twice a year in any given Institute to discuss and dine together.

To say Alec was nervous was an understatement. He was worried because of his relationship with Magnus. He was worried because this was the first gathering since the war. He worried because he knew nothing about planning things.

Thankfully Magnus did. Magnus has taken it upon himself to organize, plan and decorate everything, he even took care of the guest list and food. Alec was so glad.

But he still needed help from the rest of the team. To do Magnus' dirty work. Set up decoration and anything else Magnus said. Jace, Emery, Izzy, Simon and Clary were not pleased to be helping.

But everyone understood that this was an important event. If the Clave deemed Alec unfit to run the Institute, which hardly seemed fair based on a dumb ball, then they would send someone else in, this kicking them all out of the Institute.

"Alexander, darling, please calm down everything is going to be fine." Alec was nervous, Magnus' hand on his shoulder was stared to calm him down. Alec was walking throughout the dinning hall, watching everyone move around, while holding Max, his new warlock son.

"I'm just worried they'll-"

"Alec if they plan to take the Insatiate from you the color of the napkins surely isn't going to change their minds." Jace reinsured his parabatai. Alec shot a glare towards Jace. He was right though, if the Clave didn't want him running the Institute then this party wasn't going to change their minds.

But how could they take the Institute away from Alec? After all he and the rest of them had done? By stopping Valentine, the Fearie Folk and Sebastian? They had no business questioning his loyalty or capability.

"Right," Alec mumbled quietly, "Does everyone know what they are wearing?" No one gave him a verbal response. "Emery?" Her head shot up at hearing her name echo across the hall, "You're not wearing that, right?" Alec asked sideways.

Emery rolled her eyes, "Yes Alec I am going to wear a sports bra and sweatpants to the ball tonight." Her nose scrunched at Alec's disapproving glare, "Figured I'd make a statement." She giggled, Jace smiled with her. It had been days since he heard her spit a sarcastic line from her lips.

"Not funny." Alec growled slightly.

Jace stood up straight, "Awe come on Alec," Jace patted Alecs shoulder lightly, "It's kinda funny." Jace caught Emery's eye for a second before she turned away, they were smiling at each other. "Personally I think that the party would be much more pleasurable if everyone were in their underwear." Jace's mouth tugged into an unconcerned smirk. Alec rolled his eyes.

"Bet you'd love that," Alec mumbled quietly, shoving Jace's shoulder shyly, "See all the girls in their underwear." Jace stood up straight, acting falsely offended.

"Alec," Jace pretended to be breathless, hand over his heart, "I would never." There was sparkle in his eyes, "Isabelle is my sister." He finished before letting out a cackle. Jace always thought he was very humorous. Dropping sarcastic lines whenever he could.

Alec turned bright red, and glanced down at his blue baby then over at Izzy and Simon. Simon wore a scowl across his face, a fake one. Simon trusted Jace, knowing that he thought of Izzy the same he thought of Alec. They were family, nothing more.

"Jace just finish moving that table." Jace complied to Alec request before dragging the table silently across the floor. Alec chewed the side of his mouth, hoping Jace wouldn't scratch the floor. That wouldn't go over well with the Clave.

Once everything was all set up Emery and Izzy laid in the middle of the floor. Their limbs hung on the floor, draped wherever they had originally fallen. Simon and Jace stood next each other with their arms crossed.

Simon looked at Izzy as if she held all the stars in the sky. When he had first met her, he was sure she did. But now he loved her, he knew her. She was careful and carefree all at once. He was completly captivated by her.

Jace's head was slightly askew while he glanced at Emery. She couldn't see him staring so he figured it was alright. He was sure that if she could see him she would walk in the opposite direction. Sure he and Clary were broken up but that didn't seem to matter to Emery. For she believed that Jace would be much happier with Clary. Not that Jace had told he that he believed he would be happier with her. He couldn't keep her in a room long enough to tell her.

"You should ask her to be your date for tonight." Simon said. Jace snapped to look at him.
Simon no longer wore his glasses, after Decending he didn't need them. His graphic shirts hardly held his arms anymore, but that didn't stop him from wearing them. "Emery that is." Simon said. Jace look at him startled. Jace and Simon had an odd relationship. They were friends but Jace figured Simon would no longer speak to him after he and Clary broke up.

Jace stared at him oddly, "Simon don't take this the wrong way but you are probably the second to last person I want to talk to about Emery." The first was Clary. Then Simon, as he was the closest thing to Clary.

Simon scuffed, "I'm just saying, she likes you. So ask her." Then Simon walked away. Leaving Jace standing alone, watching Emery. If he could see himself he was sure he would say he looked creepy.

Jace walked over to where Emery laid, her eyes closed. He tilted his head and cleared his throat. "Ah-um" Her eyes shot open, widened. This has been the last person she expected to see. Jace's voice was sharp. "I'll be at your bedroom at 7:30, wanna be the luckiest girl in the room and be my date tonight?" The smirk on his face barely held, hiding the nerves coming up in his throat. Jace bit his tongue, trying to not whistle.

"Yeah," Emery said standing up, standing close enough to feel Jace's jagged breaths on her face, "but just for the record, you're the luckiest guy." Then she turned to walk away. A large smile hidden by her back to him. Jace smiled, Yeah I am, he thought as she walked away.

~~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 1169

I love the Jace/Simon brotp it's great