"Don't worry girls, in a few years I'll see you both still dining here but as lawyers." I said, winking.

"Come on, Mads. We don't want you stuck here in the diner forever." Heidi exclaimed. Heidi was the timid and shy type. Most of the time, she let Bridgette do the talking. She had jet black hair and brown eyes. She looks like a typical girl, but of all girls, never have a fight with her. Her personality suits her future career.

I smiled at them both and mentally thanked them. There are really some people who can be very optimistic even in my state. Well, I have to be grateful. Some experience more unfortunate things than me. "And in those few years' time, I might get you as lawyers if ever I have cases." hopefully I won't.

"Mads, you are beautiful, smart, and so kind. You deserve so much better. We believe in you." Bridgette smiles as Heidi starts digging in her food. "By the way, shouldn't you be in class?"

"Not you guys too?" I whined a bit. It's like they were all shooing me from work. I do understand their perspective though, but I need to really work.

"You need to go to school. It's been paid and you don't even attend classes. We do understand, really, but you really need to think of yourself sometimes too." Heidi was right. I've been too busy to help my family that I tend to forget myself.

"...okay, I'll leave in 15 minutes." I said and both of them clapped with huge grins on their faces. "Thanks, girls. I'll see you later." I said, winking at them both.

"Promise, Madison?" Bridgette was giving me the look of a very hungry bear.

"Promise." I confidently said, but deep inside I was not.

After a round of going to table after table, serving a few more dishes to patrons, and refilling a mug or two, I have not noticed the time. It was beyond 15 minutes. A customer who entered the diner almost an hour ago was seated in one of those tables for four caught my eye. Coffee and the newspaper were his only companions. It was a bit annoying that it was the only order. That was not helping at all. What could I do? Work is work, and even just a penny for a tip is a huge help already.

I went for another round as people wanted their mugs refilled and after all that I might go to the said table to refill that specific cup. I passed by Bridgette and Heidi and they simply didn't notice me. A good thing.

"Weren't you supposed to leave minutes ago?" the customer spoke as I refilled the cup. There wasn't a face since it was covered with the daily paper. Wait what?

"Excuse me, sir?" I asked. This is weird why would anyone else know about this?

The newspaper was laid down flat on the table, revealing the customer's face. "You made a promise to those girls that you'll leave for school, correct?" he was totally eavesdropping a while ago. That is just rude!

"Yes I did." I grinned ever so politely trying to keep my cool, but in reality I felt offended. "With all due respect, sir, I did notice you more than an hour ago and ordered nothing but coffee. Isn't there anything I can get you other than my personal affiliations with those girls?"