Chapter 8: Santa Comes to The Serenity

Start from the beginning

Simon jogged after her. Ahead of them, Jayne came out of his berth, guns blazing.

"Cap'n needs help!" He barked at the siblings, as if they hadn't heard the strange message.

"Any idea what's happened?" Simon asked as they made their way down to the hold.

"Not a clue," Jayne grunted, "but whatever it is, I'll blast it wide—"

"SURPRISE!"

Simon stopped short on the catwalk as he heard the chorus of voices from below. Zoe, Leif, Mal, Inara, and Kaylee stood below, grinning up at the bewildered trio, while a fully-decorated Christmas tree twinkled and glittered behind them.

Simon had no mental preparation for the wave of relief that swept over him. He burst out laughing.

"Merry Christmas!" Kaylee called.

River gawked at the finery below.

"Where did it come from?" She gasped. "There have been no extra stops—we could not have stored..."

Mal beckoned to her. "Just get down here and let's open presents. Jayne, you can put the gun down now!"

Jayne shouldered his weapon, but after a moment's hesitation, set it down entirely and joined the crew in the hold.

"First things first!" Malcolm announced, handing a package to Kaylee. "Let's get you properly attired, ma'am!"

Kaylee smirked in confusion, but her expression grew into a full-sized grin when she pulled out the old coveralls she used to wear.

Simon nudged Jayne. "This one's from Kaylee and I," he said, handing the former mercenary a wrapped box.

Jayne reached in and pulled out what looked like a hi-tech gauntlet. He slipped it on, noting the way it fit snugly around his fingers and the contours of his palm.

"What's it do?" He pointed a single finger, sticking his thumb up like a hammer. The gauntlet game a small mechanical whine.

Mal ducked out of his way. "Whoa! Watch where you point that thing!" He cried.

"It's the latest in ballistics technology," Simon explained. "Straightening your finger arms the weapon."

"Weapon?" Jayne's eyes lit up. He pointed at the armored wall of the hold, the side he usually used for target practice when working with guns. The gauntlet discharged with enough force to produce a loud report in that metallic space—but Jayne barely even felt it.

River scampered over to the wall. "There's no bullet!" She remarked.

Kaylee handed Jayne a case full of projectiles. "We took the liberty of loading blanks so you could practice without wasting ammunition," she said.

Jayne was admiring the shape and the craftsmanship. "Well, gee," he grunted. "I don't know what to say..."

"Just as long as we can be friends again," Simon held out his hand.

Jayne almost shook it with his right hand, the one wearing the gauntlet. Instead, he laughed and shook with his left, awkwardly, but the enthusiasm was there. "Absolutely, I've got your back!"

"Me next!" Leif cried, running up to Kaylee with a basket full of strawberries.

Kaylee grinned and sampled one. "Mmmm," she moaned, "delicious!" She winked at the boy. "How did you know these were my favorite?"

Leif blushed up to the roots of his red hair. "Mama told me," he said, scrambling back into Zoe's lap.

Kaylee pulled another package out from under the tree and crouched in front of him. "Well, I have something for you, too, Leif."