Chapter 38: Better Alive

Start from the beginning

"I'm not ready yet." He replied as he put his hand on mine.

"I'll be here when you are." I said as I grabbed his hand. We sat there for a little while. I could hear him crying. He rarely did and it hurt.

After a while he quieted down. I wondered when he would be ready, I hoped it was soon. I didn't want to not see him but I knew he needed space.

I went outside to get some fresh air. I left my flannel off and only wore a green tshirt. I saw Enid sitting on a bench. I smiled and hobbled over to her.

"You're back." I smiled lightly.

"Yeah." She nodded closing her book. "What happened to you?"

"I got shot." I answered sitting down. "By Ron." I sighed. "Where have you been? Why did you come back?" I asked looking at her.

"I found Glenn and he made me." She shrugged lightly.

"We were worried you got caught up in everything." I explained looking at her.

"Well I'm okay." She nodded. "How come Carl isn't with you?"

"He got shot too but it's worse. His eye got blown out. He doesn't really want to go anywhere right now." I explained.

"Who shot him?" She asked concerned.

"Ron set off two random shots." I answered with a sigh.

"I'll be better in a month and I'll be able to go back out again. I don't really know when Carl will feel up to coming outside again." I looked at the ground.

"Is everything okay with you two?" Enid asked looking at me.

I wiped my face lightly. "No, but it'll be okay. He's just taking things differently than I am."

"I hope it works out then. You two are cute together." She said as she opened her notebook.

"I'm sorry about Ron I know you two were-" I started.

"It's fine. Everyone dies eventually." She said looking at her book. It was a pessimistic way of dealing with things.

"Well I'm gonna keep walking. I'll see you around?" I asked as she nodded.

I stood up and got ready to walk. "Lyla Rose?" She asked as I turned around. "You said we were similar before. What did you mean?" She asked as I smiled lightly and sat back down.

"When I first went through this I only was with my parents for a while before I'd been alone." I started.

"So were the same because we're orphans?" She asked almost offended by it.

"No. I wasn't done." I sighed lightly. "We've both had to fight on our own with no help. We both didn't want to trust anyone even if they were trying to help. And after all that we both just wanted to not be by ourself." I responded with a sigh. I did a lot of sighing.

She looked at me shocked. "I have you figured out because we've been through the same bullshit."

"That sucks. I wouldn't want anyone to go through it." Enid shook her head.