Chapter Two: Making Amends

- HARRY -

Ginny's hand remained gripped tightly in mine as we made our way down to the great hall.
A crushing ache filled my chest while walking through the crumbling corridors of my home, my heart sinking like a stone. The walls of Hogwarts that had sheltered thousands over the years were barely standing, the debris blanketing scattered fragments of suits of armour. Some of them groaned loudly as passed, half hearted survivors.
I wondered vaguely what would happen to this place in the near future. How long would it take to repair, if at all? The mere thought of it closing down was incomprehensible. I couldn't imagine the excited, grinning kids asking their parents why the letter hadn't arrived yet.
"I can't believe how much of this place was ruined." I murmured as we descended the marble staircase, stepping around the perished remnants of surrounding stone pillars. "I was all over the place the entire time, I...I didn't realise how much was going on here."
"It seems worse now than it was when we were fighting." Gin mumbled in reply, glancing up to the cracked ceiling. "I mean, I always thought that Hogwarts was kind of invincible. I guess that was naive of me."
I breathed out a laugh, halting in my step as we reached the entrance of the great hall.
"It is invincible." I admitted, taking in the few clusters of people stationed around the crippled room. It was returned to normal - well, as normal as could be with half of the right wall caved in. "We made it, Gin."
She squeezed my hand, glancing up to meet my eyes. Her lips curved up into a small smile.
"You can do this." She nudged my shoulder gently. "Look around you, Harry. This is your family."
I dragged my gaze away from her eyes, scanning the hall once more. Not nearly as many people remained as there had been the last time I'd entered the room, tending to the injured and conversing in low murmurs. I could see McGonagall and Sprout seated at the end of the Slytherin table, accompanied by a pot of tea. A scatter of familiar faces swam into view the longer I searched. Neville, Luna, Parvati, Padma, Dean and Seamus were clustered around a platter of food, exchanging light chatter and the occasional carefree laughter. It seemed almost weightless.
"Have you heard?" Gin whispered in my ear, jerking her head in their direction.
"What, Nev & Luna?" I murmured out the corner of my mouth, peering around the entrance of the hall. "Yeah, I saw him sprinting for her in the middle of the chaos. Almost ran me over."
"Pretty cute, huh?" She grinned, stretching to her tippy toes. "He's fancied her since the DA - if that isn't precious, I don't know what is."
I let out a quiet laugh, shaking my head. I'm sure Hermione would have something to say about that.
"I remember him saying something about that in the dorm." I murmured, watching a goofy smile spread across his cheeks. "Merlin, the DA...that really takes me back."
I let my eyes wander once more, grazing over Seamus's Mother and who must be her husband talking to a woman I didn't recognise. A ministry official was speaking with Kingsley at the restored staff table, a sudden reminder that the government'd been under Voldemort's control since Scrimgeour's death and 'til this point. Feet from them Slughorn and Hagrid were lounged on the steps, exchanging a hipflask of Merlin knew what.
I now looked to the familiar group of redheads sitting at the table in front of them, sharing food and small, sad smiles. I hadn't realised that I'd temporarily stopped breathing until a choked sound escaped me, my hand instinctively clenching Ginny's a little tighter.
"I don't think I can do this." I muttered, exhaling shakily. My eyes flickered back to hers. "I haven't talked to anyone since before everything happened. I don't know what I'll say to them."
"Then don't say anything." She murmured quietly, holding my gaze. "They don't expect anything of you, Harry. You know that."
"Doesn't make it any easier."  I hesitated, glancing back up to the table. Ginny wordlessly took the lead, tugging me behind her gently as she took a step towards the direction of the smiling, warm faces. My breath hitched in my throat slightly as I watched Ron wrap a consoling arm around Hermione's waist, who looked up into his face with a small smile. He pressed his lips to her forehead, pulling her closer.
"Finally," I managed to mutter in Ginny's ear, unable to prevent the grin that spread across my aching cheeks. Gin chuckled lightly as my grin slowly faded. My eyes were drawn to one of the shorter, stockier brothers out of the family. George sat isolated from the rest of the group, his hands clenched into fists and eyes boring into the crumbling wall unblinkingly.
"He hasn't moved much." Ginny whispered, noticing who I watched. "He walked the corridors for hours. Disappeared somewhere for even longer. Mum was relieved when he came back, but I don't know how much that helps. No one knows how to act."
My stomach churned at this new information. All of the time I'd spent cooped up in the dormitory, too afraid and too weak to face them all. All the while George, lost and utterly broken, did the very same. How could I be so selfish?
Ginny cleared her throat audibly, giving my hand a second squeeze. Silence gradually fell over the group, blanketing over any lighthearted chatter. Several faces turned, mixed expressions of anguish, calm and concern all blending into one. My throat bobbed slightly as I met the eyes of the only woman who I'd  ever known as a mother. Mrs.Weasley's kind face broke into a wide, glowing smile and her eyes glistened with tears.
How could she be so happy?
As we came to a halt I felt my hands begin to tremble slightly. I exhaled sharply, wondering when I'd become such an unstable excuse for a human being. Looking from each Arthur, Bill, Fleur, Charlie, Percy, George, Ron and Hermione - it felt as though the entire world had begun to spin. I staggered, willing myself to focus on the warmth and feel of Ginny's hand in mine. She gripped me tightly, anchoring me in the wide unknown.
"You can do it." She whispered in my ear.
Feeling like the small boy she'd met on the platform, I stared into Mrs. Weasley's warm brown eyes, swimming with unconditional love and compassion. She continued to smile at me tearfully, gripping on to Mr.Weasley in support.
All was silent in the hall, the quiet chatter halting.
"Hi." I managed to croak, mustering the strength to crack a small smile.
"Harry," Hermione murmured, dragging my eyes to her. I studied the bags under her eyes, the loose strands of hair that framed her tired face. She nodded once, a small, sad smile tugging at the corner of her lips. I glanced to her side where Ron stood, unable to prevent the small tremble in my bottom lip. He managed a grin, and it surprised me to see that it did reach his eyes - lighting them up, like fireworks.
"Hey, mate." He said quietly. I hesitated, unsure who to speak to or what do do at all. Then Ginny gently pulled away from my side, strolling over to embrace Hermione. I turned back to Mrs. Weasley with a shaky breath. She took a single step towards me, almost hesitantly.
"Oh Harry, dear." She whispered, her silver lined eyes glistening in the afternoon light. She took a second step forwards, sliding a delicate hand into my shoulder. I scanned her heartbroken expression, wondering how hard it was to look into the eyes of the boy who killed her son.
The next words she spoke knocked the air from my chest.
"I am so proud of you." She whispered, her smile growing. If I was trembling before, it was nothing to how I shook now. I let out a choked, relieved laugh before pulling Mrs. Weasley into a tight embrace. I buried my face into her shoulder, the familiar home of her arms comforting me in a way that no others could.
"I'm so sorry," I whispered in her ear, holding her tighter. "I hope I can help you in some way. In any way. I can't imagine what you're going through."
I pulled back after a few moments, hesitating slightly before meeting her eyes; afraid of what I might see.
"Now Harry," She said a little sternly, patting my shoulder. "Don't be silly."
I smiled slightly at the familiar scolding.
"Mrs.Weasley -"
"Oh, don't you think it's about time you call me Molly?" She chuckled, smoothing down the front of my shirt. Something In my chest warmed, tugging my lips tug up at the corners.
"Molly," I started fresh, giving her shoulders a slight squeeze. "I...want to thank you. And I know that this could never sum it all up, but thank you, for everything that you've ever done for me over the past six years - and I hope to repay you in any way that I can. You've been the best Mother to me that I could ever ask for, and I -"
But the rest of my sentence was cut off as she promptly burst into tears, yanking me back into her arms. I blinked and pat her on the back soothingly, overwhelmed by the sense of gratitude.
"Thank you." I whispered again, meaning it more then I ever had in my entire life. Mrs.Weasley pulled away this time, letting out a small sob. But she smiled through her tears, shaking her head.
"Oh, Harry." She choked slightly, clutching a hand to her chest. "It's been my pleasure to practically adopt you into our family." I grinned. "But do not thank me," She continued in a slightly firmer tone, searching my face. "Thank you, for bringing the peace we've been longing for since 1977."
"I couldn't have done it without your son," I replied quietly. "And Hermione. Please, don't be angry with them for leaving. They're the reason this is over."
Her smile widened as the tears brimmed in her honeying eyes, trickling down her cheeks like rain drops.
"I had months to accept it," She whispered, wiping her cheeks. "I'm not angry, Harry. Not now. I'm grateful."
I looked up, taken aback to see that life had temporarily paused. My eyes roved over Mr. Weasley's face, paler then I'd ever seen it in my life. His eyes drooped In fatigue, large purple bags painting his undereyes. Molly let her hand slide from my chest as he took a step towards me.
"Harry." He murmured, clapping a hand to my shoulder. "I can't think of what else to say but thankyou. Not only are you incredibly brave, but kind. A quality that not many possess. I know I haven't spoken of it much, but I knew your parents back in the beginning." He paused, scanning my face. "When Molly and I were in the order, starting our family. They too, were brave. And unwaveringly kind, always asking if we needed anything. They would be extremely proud of you, Harry."
I stared at him and swallowed the lump in my throat, having not expected this comment. Arthur pulled me into a tight hug, clapping me on the back affectionately.
"Thank you." I mumbled as I pulled away, lacking in speech. "And I'm...I'm sorry. For your loss."
"As am I." He whispered, his lips curving into a sad smile. I bowed my head, a second fraction of my heart splintering in agony. I glanced up to the three brothers before me, each of them smiling at me in their own way.
"You did it, Harry." Bill grinned, reaching out to clap me on the back. "I always knew you would. You're something else, mate."
I snorted slightly, shaking my head.
"Feeling a little like that, lately." I replied, followed by a ripple of quiet laughter.
"Harry."
I glanced up at my name, surprised to see Percy's mouth opening to speak.
"Listen," He mumbled, hesitatingly meeting my eyes. "I wanted to say I'm sorry. For everything I did against you, all that shit with the ministry. I could've had a real influence on what happened on the inside, but I chose wrong. You didn't deserve any of that. I was wrong, and I'll regret those choices for the rest of my life."
I nodded once, reading the remorse in his eyes.
"Thanks, Percy." I said quietly, meeting his tired, anguished eyes. "That means a lot. Don't worry about it - it's in the past. Merlin knows we've all done stupid things we regret." I heaved a long, deep breath. It took all of me to refrain from reciting a speech explaining how gut wrenchingly sorry I was for bringing an unwanted war to Hogwarts. I clenched my jaw in restraint, balling my hands into fists. They deserved so, so much better then this. I glanced to George, feet away from us.
"I don't know -"
"He'll want to talk to you." Charlie murmured, meeting my eyes. "You finished this. He could never resent you for that."
I gulped, dragging my eyes to him. He hadn't moved in the last few moments that we'd arrived, his shoulders stiff. Percy took a step backwards as I willed my feet to move, left, right, left, right, until I was at his side. I silently took a seat so that I was facing the Weasley's, noting their expressions of anticipation. George stiffened slightly at my side, his sullen eyes dragging up to my face agonisingly slow. His paled lips were cracked and chapped, lines of exhaustion tracing the planes of his face. George's eyes darkened at the sight of me, accentuating his thick eye bags.
"Hey." I said quietly, slowly reaching out to grip his shoulder. George trembled slightly, foreign shadows dancing in his ghostly empty eyes. He opened his lips slightly, glancing back down to the empty plate he'd been staring at.
"I don't hate you, Harry." He almost whispered, as if expecting me to accuse him. A sudden wave of relief that I didn't know I'd been yearning for washed over me.
"I know." Was all I murmured, squeezing him in comfort. It was silent for a few moments before he spoke again.
"It feels like I felt half of my body in that corridor." He whispered agonisingly, clenching his jaw. "I don't know how to live like this. I don't know what to do. I can't even speak, I can't even smile. It's wrong."
I hesitated, scanning George's broken face.
"None of us do." I admitted softly, glancing up to the family of redheads. They chatted quietly, Arthur even letting out the smallest of laughs at something Charlie said.
"One step at a time." I murmured to him, rolling through the film of memories in my mind where Fred had made me laugh. Six years of pranks, bent rules and a brother I never deserved. "There's no right way to navigate this. Just know that anytime you need it, there's support waiting. And I'm not going anywhere whether you all want me to bugger off or not." I paused, exhaling sharply. "We love you, George."
He glanced up to my face, wearing the same the blank and empty expression he had moments ago.
"Since when did you become such a cheesy bastard?" He croaked without a hint of humour, meeting my eyes. My heart sunk as I searched for the trace of laughter in his face that wasn't there.
But I let my mouth curve up into a small smile, and shrugged.
"War turned me soft." I gave him one last squeeze before getting to my feet. I took all but a step when something gripped my arm tightly, holding me back. I turned back to George, my breath hitching in my throat. He glanced up to my eyes, and for a small moment it overwhelmed me how uncannily identical he was to his twin. If I hadn't known better, I could have been seeing Fred.
"Thank you." He whispered. George released his grip and turned away, leaving me to tremble.
I let out a shaky breath, dragging my eyes up to Molly. Several tears raced down her red, swollen cheeks. Ron caught my eyes as I looked away, walking to his side.
"Those are the first words he's said in hours." He murmured to me, eyes darkening. "Wouldn't even speak to Bill."
I didn't know what to say, choosing to remain silent. Ron hesitated, scanning my face.
"Listen Harry, about everything in the forest -"
"I know." I murmured. He let a small grin spread across his cheeks, before pulling me into his arms and giving me a brotherly hug. I clapped him on the back affectionately, a profuse wave of gratitude washing over me. He pulled back and I turned to Hermione, who's eyes lined with silver. Letting out a light laugh I reached out to wrap my arms around her, holding her tight.
"I never thanked you, M'ione." I whispered, fighting the burning in my eyes. "You saved our arses out there. I couldn't have done this without either of you. Ron didn't want me to mention it, but there was a point at the burrow before the wedding that I considered taking off with telling anyone. He told me we wouldn't last two days minutes without you - and he was right."
"Really, Harry?" Ron asked tonelessly, rolling his eyes as a faint grin curved up my cheeks. Hermione only sobbed, squeezing me around the middle so hard that I almost heard one of my ribs crack.
"You've no idea how happy I am for you two." I grinned as we pulled apart, tears streaming down her face. She choked on a laugh, wiping her cheeks with a hand. Ron pulled her under his wing, the two of them sharing a brief, loving glance.
"Took you long enough." I chuckled, shaking my head at the two. Ron shot me me a sheepish grin.
"Well," He edged, rolling his eyes. "It all starts with this other guy. His name was Viktor -" He cut himself off at the expression on Hermione's face, throwing his head back as he laughed. She grit her teeth and hit him on the arm playfully, unable to prevent the smile that threatened to slice her cheeks open.
"Fraternising with the enemy." I teased, dodging the swipe Ron aimed for me. I laughed, feeling vaguely shocked at how easy it was to crack a smile after everything that had happened.
"Good times." Ron sighed, glancing from me to Hermione with a wide smile. "I was a knob. Didn't know anything about girls."
"And what, now you do?" Ginny snorted upon her arrival at my side, using my shoulder as an arm rest.
"Put a sock in it, Gin." Ron rolled his eyes.
"She's right, you know." Hermione muttered, folding her arms into her chest.
"Yeah," He admitted grudgingly. "Doesn't mean we have to harp on about it." His eyes travelled along my arm, which fit around Ginny's shoulder snuggly. I hesitated, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.
"Listen -"
"Later." He said quietly, inclining his head. I stared into his eyes, relieved to see the absence of any held back anger. So I nodded, glancing to Hermione's anxious expression.
"Yeah, okay."
I glanced to the others, watching as Bill poked Fleur on the nose teasingly; laughing at the disdainful look she gave him.
"Much happened while I've been gone?" I asked, glancing back to Ron. He snorted at me, and I raised my eyebrows. "Something funny?"
He frowned, the grin wiping clean from his cheeks.
"What d'you mean?" He asked, exchanging a glance with Hermione. "We were wondering if you'd popped your cogs in your sleep."
I pulled back to scan his face, frowning at him.
"I was only out for a few hours." I replied slowly.
"Er...the thing is Harry." Hermione started, offering me a small grimace. "Well, you slept for almost an entire day. Twenty three hours, If my watch is correct."
"What?!" I exclaimed incredulously, pulling away from Ginny. "A day? Hermione, I should be helping people! Why didn't anyone wake me up? I -" However the rest of my sentence was cut off by Arthur's calm voice.
"Harry, we checked on you every few hours when we weren't asleep." He murmured, pulling my eyes to him. "You were practically in a coma."
"That doesn't matter." I replied weakly, dragging a hand through my hair. "This place - it's a mess, and the...the bodies, I -"
"We have time." Hermione murmured, reaching out to squeeze my hand.
"Mate," Ron snorted, meeting my eyes. "You needed that. How much sleep have you had this year in total? About, what - twelve full hours?'
"Something like that." I replied reluctantly, and he laughed.
"Most people cleared out by the end of the day." Ginny murmured, looking up to my face. "The few who've stuck around are either helping or mourning. It's all a bit of a blur - no one really knows what to do."
I scanned her eyes, letting out a long breath.
"What can I do to help?" I asked, glancing up to Ron. "Have you guys been clearing the corridors out? Talking to families? What's the ministry doing?"
"It's not exactly that easy." Hermione cut in, her eyebrows pulling into a frown. "Since you ended this, everything's changed. People are opening their businesses again, coming out of hiding. The Aurors have been arresting the dozens of Deatheaters who fled," She shook her head. "Kingsley's in the office day in and out."
"How do you know all of this, exactly?" I asked weakly.
"Editor of the prophet was fired." Bill said, the four of us looking to him. He walked to Ginny's side, letting out a bitter laugh. "Finally. The new one is actually giving the public the news that we need. People are celebrating, the economy is recovering." He met my eyes, taking a deep breath. "Decisions are being made, but it's difficult. No one wants to rush anything, because last time that happened the world started to implode."
"You know Kingsley's running for minister of magic?" Ron grinned at me.
"He's got my vote!" I laughed, a wave of relief washing over me. "Merlin, I couldn't think of anyone better." I paused, glancing to the cluster of students at the front of the hall. Dean was laughing, punching a grinning Seamus in the shoulder playfully. "So, what do we do now?"
"We go home." Arthur said, snapping my eyes to his face. "Wait for further information from the staff. I dare say, they'll need all the help they can get."
My heart sunk slightly, and I glanced down to scan Ginny's smiling face. I know the Weasleys would happily have me, but I couldn't ask that of them after everything that'd happened. Apart from the Burrow, I had no where to go. The Dursley's were practically gone, somewhere off in south England. Grimmauld place was barely a house, but more so a prison. And who knew if I had any gold left after what went down at Gringotts.
"I could do with a sleep in my own bed." Ron groaned, closing is eyes. "It's been, what - eight months? Nine?"
"Pig'll be losing his mind." Ginny sighed, dragging a hand down the side of her face.
"Almost forgot about him." Ron sighed, wrinkling his nose. "Might have to invest in a new owl."
"Do you still have crookshanks?" Hermione asked anxiously, biting down on her lip. She'd brought him to the Burrow before the wedding, meaning to drop him at a Muggle SPCA before we left. Obviously, there hadn't been any time for that.
"Course we do." Ginny chuckled at her expression. "He chases the gnomes every single day, it's great."
"Was kind of hoping he'd have run off by now." Ron muttered to me out of the corner of his mouth, earning a scornful look from Hermione.
"Just because he hates you." She scolded, folding her arms. "Honestly Ronald, you're going to have to start liking him."
"What have I done?" He groaned, flashing her a grin and stealing a quick kiss. She tutted, unable to prevent the smile that pulled at her lips.
"Harry and Hermione are obviously welcome to stay for as long as they'd like." Molly added I'm kindly, wiping her eyes with a white handkerchief. "Although it'll be a bit of a squeeze... I'll have to charm the rooms."
"Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly, scanning her swollen face. "I don't want to cause any trouble Molly, but..." I hesitated adverting my eyes. "I've really nowhere else to go."
"Of course she's sure." Ginny exclaimed in exasperation, rolling her eyes. "For Merlin's sake, Harry, you never learn."
"Neither do I, Harry." Hermione said quietly, her smile sad and eyes slightly watery. "My parents are likely to be in the middle of the Sydney right about now."
Ron gave her a small squeeze, his arm tightening around her.
"I'm sorry." I said quietly; she would've never taken their memories if it weren't for me.
"Don't you dare start." She warned, pointing a finger at me. "You've been doing so well!"
I scoffed, rolling my eyes.
"Bad habits never die, you're one to talk."
"We're already bickering, maybe I don't even want you lot staying at my house." Ron grinned, chuckling at us.
"It's settled." Ginny said firmly, looking up to meet my eyes. "You two are coming to stay with us whether you want to or not."
"But -"
"End of story." She lifted her chin, silencing me almost immediately.
"For once Ginevra, we agree on the same thing." Molly sighed, linking arms with her husband.
"Don't call me that!" She hissed, glaring at her.
"When are we thinking of leaving?" Charlie inquired, glancing to George.
"Any time from now." Arthur replied, following his gaze. "I don't know about you, but I could do with a cup of brandy tea."
"And we can just go?" Charlie asked, glancing to Kingsley. "Not that there's anything keeping us here, but I feel kind of guilty taking off."
"We all deserve a rest." Molly murmured, sliding a hand to his shoulder. "No ones going to do anything without letting us know, we've made it very clear that we'll be here to help every step of the way."
"Your Mother's right." Arthur followed Charlie's gaze. "I'll speak to Kingsley, he'll have more information by now." He kissed Molly on the cheek and gave her hand a comforting squeeze, before walking towards a slurring Slughorn and Hagrid.
"I can't believe we're here." Hermione muttered, glancing around. "It all feels so surreal."
Ron said something in reply, but the words faded into the background my eyes grazed over Parvati once more. She was sitting in between Padma and Dean, squeezing her sister's hand and snug underneath Dean's wing. Their backs were facing me as Seamus waved an animated hand, talking them through a particularly gnarly duel by the looks of it.
"Harry?"
I let out a shaky breath, my eyes snapping to Ginny. Her eyebrows creased as she gazed into my face, sliding an arm around my waist.
"Harry, are you alright?"
"I, uh -" I shook my head, pulling myself from my reverie. "Sorry. There's just, something that I need to do before we go." I glanced back to Seamus, my eyes grazing over Luna and remembering the way she'd sustained her strength through all those months of imprisonment in Malfoy manor. I turned to Ron and Hermione, and from the looks on their faces, I knew that they were thinking of the same thing. "Have you talked to them?"
"Briefly." Hermione murmured, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Parvati, and Neville. We haven't seen the boys."
"Go," Ron added quietly, jerking his head in their direction. "Dad'll be talking first a while."
I silently nodded, looking down to face Ginny. Her lips tugged up at the corners as I reached out to tilt her chin, pressing my lips to her forehead.
"Be back." I muttered, glancing to George's bowed head as I slipped from Ginny's grasp.
My feet echoed upon the stone floor while I passed remaining stragglers, their eyes widening considerably at the sight of me. No doubt I looked completely and utterly deranged to them.
The walk to the end of the hall took what seemed like hours, the sound of my shaky breath ringing in my ears in slow motion; as if I were submerged in water. I came to a halt at the end of the bench, turning to face the Ravenclaw table. A cold wave of remorse washed over me at the sight of their battle worn, exhausted faces. Making amendments; the next small, but sure step.
So I willed my legs to move forwards, the sound of my footsteps eventually grasping Neville's attention. His eyes flickered upwards, accentuating the shadows that danced there.
"Harry." He exclaimed, his tone dripping with relief. Silence fell over the group as five pairs of eyes snapped to my face, causing me to internally flinch.
"Nev." I breathed, a small smile tugging at my lips. "Hey."
It was silent for a prolonged moment before Luna spoke, her eyebrows pulling together into a confused frown.
"Why is no one saying anything?" She wondered aloud, gazing from Dean to Padma. "Harry's already nervous enough to speak to us. Aren't you Harry?"
As always, I was taken aback at Luna's unnerving confidence when it came to any sort of social interaction.
"Er, yeah," I muttered, awkwardly scratching the back of my neck. "you could say that." I averted my eyes, wishing that for the first time in my life I knew what say.
"How's it going, Harry?" Dean asked to my immense gratitude, offering me a smile.
"I'm..." I let out a light laugh. "Tired. And absolutely ravenous. You?"
"Pretty much sums it up, eh?" Seamus chuckled. It was quiet for a moment as I pondered what to say, the group of them realising that I'd come to speak to them for a reason.
"Listen..." I hesitated, glancing up to meet Parvati's glistening eyes. They danced with tears, and a grief that I was all too familiar with.
"I'm so sorry." I managed to mumble as my throat threatened to close up. "For your loss. I know you two were...closer than close."
"Thanks, Harry." She replied quietly, her trembling lips tugging up into a tearful smile. "I'm sorry, too. I hope you don't blame yourself for any of this. You've always been rather good at that, haven't you?" She chuckled slightly, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. I didn't laugh; nor did the others.
"I heard that it was Greyback." I whispered, scanning her face. "Is that true?"
"He took her down right after Hannah." Dean replied quietly, locking eyes with me.
"Hannah?" I breathed in shock, my eyes darting to Neville. "Hannah Abbott -?" He bowed his head in silence, the end of my sentence drowning in my throat.I pulled a hand through my hair and stumbled a step backwards, the name slamming into me with the force of a train. How many times was this going to happen? How many times would another name pop up, knocking the breath from my lungs?
"It's not your fault," Neville pushed, wrenching my dazed eyes back to him. "So don't even go there. You ended all of this, we're all lucky we didn't go out the same way."
I let my arm fall to my side limply, and shook my head.
"I couldn't have done it without you." I said weakly, exhaling heavily. "All of you." I glanced to the others, noticing Seamus's averted eyes. "I know that over the years, we haven't exactly been...well, on fabulous terms." I hesitated, balling my hands into fists to halt the trembling threatening to give me away. My thoughts ran over each row with Seamus, each dirty look from Parvati, and the way I treated her at the Yule ball. "What with me being a classic nutcase half the year, and a self centred narcissist the other." I continued, causing Dean to snort. "But If there's anyway I can help," I murmured a little desperately, looking back to Parvati. "Any way at all...-"
"I'll let you know." She murmured, her lips curving up into a small smile. "Thanks, Harry. For everything. And hey," Her eyes sparkled at me, re-kindled with the familiar light that used to shine whenever her and Lavender would share gossip in Divination. "I hope you and Ginny find happiness in the end. Lav and I always used to talk about how cute you were together."
Unsure whether I felt comforted or disturbed by this, I resorted in offering her a grateful smile.
"So it's true you split up for whatever it was you've been doing all this time?" Dean asked quietly, his eyes flickering to my face.
"Hardest thing I've ever done." I replied quietly, understanding immediately as a wave of hurt rippled across his face, that this defied whatever rumours had been floating around. I hadn't broken her heart out of any other purpose other then protecting her. Who else could be stupid enough to let Ginny go?
I opened my mouth slightly, pondering whether I should elaborate not. Then Dean nodded once, shrugging.
"Then I'm happy for you, Mate." His mouth turned up at the corners.
"Thanks, Dean." I murmured sincerely, feeling a warm balloon of hope expand in my chest. "That reminds me," I grinned, glancing to Luna and Neville's intertwined bodies, combined in an embrace. His replying smile was positively glowing, and a little sheepish if anything. "Congratulations, guys." My grin grew as I took in their obvious delight. "Merlin knows, we all needed a reminder that there is some normality left in the world."
"Not quite sure I'd use the word 'normality'." Dean grinned, rolling his eyes. "But sure, sure."
Luna let out a tinkling laugh.
"What's a better time to tell me you've loved me for a year than while I'm in the middle of duelling my capturer?" She asked airily, her lips spreading into a wide smile. Neville's cheeks turned the colour of his Gryffindor shirt, and I was surprised to hear the genuine laugh that escaped my lips.
"Nothing can beat that." I agreed, doing my best to stifle a laugh at the look on Seamus's face.
"So, where are you headed now?" Padma asked curiously, turning her front to face me.
"Me and Hermione are going back to Rons," I edged, waving an absent minded hand. "And after that, I've absolutely no clue. Might be a good time to get my life together. I'll be helping out here as much as I can in the meantime, if it means the school can potentially open in time for September."
"We'll be here." Neville assured me, tightening his grip around Luna's shoulders.
"Yeah, Mum's pretty keen on helping out." Seamus agreed, glancing to where she sat at the other end of the table. "If she ever stops talking to your Mum, that is." He rolled his eyes, him and Dean exchanging an exasperated glance. "Honestly, every Merlin's damned time - they never stop talking."
"Hey - Luna?" I asked, scanning her slightly bruised cheekbone.
"Hm?"
"Did you ever find out what happened to your Dad?" I asked, my eyebrows stitching together into a frown. "I'm truly sorry, that I couldn't help him."
"Oh, that's alright." She answered in a dazed sort of manner, swatting at the thin air surrounding her head. "He owled me this morning from the Ministry. They took him to Azkaban when you saw him not long ago, but of course he's been cleared now. I'll be going home this afternoon, I expect."
I let out a breath of relief, followed by a small laugh.
"Thats great news, Luna." I grinned, chuckling at her continuous flapping hands. "Wrackspurts got you down?"
"Oh, they're everywhere!" She exclaimed, craning her neck as she turned in her seat to reach for the invisible creatures. Dean caught my eye and the both of us looked away, stifling our laughs.
"Thanks again, Harry." Neville grinned, his eyes twinkling at me. "The entire wizarding world is in your debt."
"I really wasn't kidding when I said I couldn't have done it without you, Nev." I grimaced weakly. "Killing that snake changed the game, you just about did the job for me. I can't thank you enough."
"Well it's all over now, isn't it?" He shrugged. "Voldemort's gone, it's done - and I can finally sleep a peaceful night knowing that Bellatrix Lestrange got what she deserved."
I involuntarily winced, remembering the duel between the devil herself and both Hermione, Luna and Ginny. They were matched, until that terrifyingly close killing curse had barely skimmed Ginny's arm, and Molly...well, Molly turned into a complete badarse. If I hadn't been so concentrated on trying to kill the most powerful wizard of the age, I might've even applauded her.
My thoughts travelled to Alice and Frank in the brain damaged section of Saint Mungos, the reminder of the reason behind their childlike state like a punch to the gut.
"I'm happy for you." I murmured lowly, locking his eyes. One day, we'd have a conversation about our miraculously intertwined fates. But that conversation wouldn't be today. "You deserve it, Nev."
He smiled, and I could tell from the way that his eyes sparkled that a piece of him had finally healed after the years of turmoil despising her existence.
"It's all over." Parvati sighed, glancing around the hall. "I still can't really comprehend it all. This entire year has felt like a century."
"Tell me about it." Seamus, who's black eye and bruised face was slowly healing as the days wore on, laughed bitterly. "The next best thing would be seeing Umbridge chucked in Azkaban."
"If I die mere minutes after that occurrence, I would leave this earth a happy man." Dean grinned. "What a time. That was really two years ago already."
"Seems insane." I agreed, glancing around the unrecognisable hall.
"I'll be going back for my last year." Luna said mildly, her wide, doleful eyes gazing up at me.
"Daddy will want me to get my NEWTS for care of magical creatures so I can travel Europe and study the Crumple-Horned Snorkack." She blinked, gazing around. "I'm going to become a Magizoologist, you know."
"Wow," I exclaimed, having not understood her direction of conversation. "That's...good for you, Luna."
"Will you come back to finish Seventh year, Harry?" Parvati asked hopefully. "If the option opens up? I'm considering it, only because my NEWTS are in a bit of a state."
"Course he's not, do you know him at all?"
I turned around to see Ron, a small grin plastered to his cheeks.
"He's not wrong." I snorted.
"C'mon," He jerked his head in the direction of the great hall open doors, where I could distinctly spot a wave of red departing the room. "Mum and Dad are ready to go."
I nodded, glancing back to the all too familiar faces.
"I expect to see you lot soon." I laughed quietly, briefly glancing to each of their expressions. I hesitated slightly, swallowing the lump in my throat. "...take care of yourselves."
"You too, Harry." Dean clambered to his feet and shook my hand, pulling me into a brief embrace. I clapped him on the back and pulled away, mustering the best smile that I could as Parvati climbed to her feet. Taking me by surprise she wordlessly wrapped her arms around my neck, squeezing me tightly. I hugged her back in comfort, if not a little fearfully. This might be the most contact I've had with her over the last 6 years combined.
"Thanks again, Harry." She whispered in my ear, before pulling away. "You're gonna do great things."
"Er - I dunno about that." I laughed awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck. "But hey, like I said...if you ever need anything -"
"Thankyou." She murmured, a small smile tugging at her lips.
Ron and I waved the others goodbye before turning on our heels, heading towards the entrance hall. I'd taken all but five steps when somebody grabbed onto my wrist, restraining my actions. I wrenched out of their grip instinctively, spinning on my heel - only to slump in relief when I realised that it was only Seamus.
"Woah." He held his hands up in surrender, eyeing me. "You really do need some sleep."
"Sorry." I muttered, letting my fists unclench at my sides. "Paranoid, I guess."
"I see that." He replied in a slightly concerned tone. He hesitated slightly, before continuing. "Listen Harry, I know that this is long in the past but I wanted to apologise for being an arse to you when all the fuss about you-know-who came out. Looking back, I might've been able to help spread awareness." He exhaled sharply, shaking his head. "All I'm saying is that I'm full of regrets, and I want you to know that you're probably the most honest person I know. No idea how I ever called you a liar."
Completely taken aback, I had to take a few moments to form a coherent sentence.
"Wow, Er - thanks, Seamus." I nodded gratefully, pulling myself together. "Don't mention it. It's been a weird few years, Merlin -I wouldn't have believed me either."
He shook his head, folding his arms into his chest.
"Nah, I don't think so Harry." He hesitated slightly before offering me a sheepish grin. "Anyways, I just felt as though I owed you that. And thank you, for...getting us out of this mess, finally."
I laughed, and reached out to grasp his shoulder.
"You're welcome?" I replied quizzically as he clapped me on the back, flashing me a hesitant grin.
"Yeah." I offered him a small smile, raising a hand in farewell as he turned back to the Ravenclaw table. The surprises kept coming.
But as I followed Ron's lax walk past the scattered house tables, I heard my name being called and turned for the second time.
"Potter!" McGonagall was calling from mid way past the Hufflepuff table, her skirts hitched as she hurried towards me.
"Professor?" I exclaimed in bemusement, approaching her. She pat down the front of her robes, and to my extreme surprise, ran a hand through her greying locks of hair that fanned across her shoulders. Not in a tightly pulled bun at the back of her head, but in ripples down her back. I was afraid I'd entered an alternate universe.
"Potter," She repeated, scanning my face. "I'm sure you must be getting promptly bombarded, but since that stunt you pulled with Alecto Carrow - you've never reminded me of your father more."
I stared into her face, completely taken aback.
"Really?" I asked in disbelief. "Wasn't he a right pain in the arse? S'cuse my language."
She let out a quiet laugh, shaking her head.
"Well, that, he was." She offered me a sharp smile, the light in her eyes sparkling slightly. "But he was also undeniably brave, and exceedingly loyal. And," She hesitated, lifting her chin. "I couldn't be more proud of you."
To my surprise a faint grin tugged up my lips at her words.
"Thanks, Professor." I said quietly. "And thank you, for giving me time. There wasn't much else I could do."
"Of course, of course." She waved an absentminded hand. "I think we're all in a bit of shock. Who knew Albus knew so much about Tom..." She shook her head. "You carried the burden of a lifetime."
"I know." I hesitated slightly. "And I'm sorry, I'm sure the entire population of Britain are equally confused." My eyebrows stitched together in a frown. "I think that one day I'll speak out. Just not now. I couldn't."
"Perfectly understandable." She whispered, reaching out to squeeze my hand. McGonagall exhaled rather shakily, straightening herself up.
"Now, I realise you need to get going, so I'll say goodbye. You need a good three course meal and a days worth of sleep."
"Already checked one of those off." I grimaced. "I'll be back as soon as we're told when this place'll need some work. I want to help in anyway I can."
"That's greatly appreciated." She nodded curtly, and I could've sworn her eyes glistened slightly. "I'm sure it won't be for a week or so, too many homes have been damaged. I'll see you then, Potter."
"See you then." I agreed, letting a small smile tug at my lips. I'd always thought McGonagall had been my least favourite teacher. I saw now that I was sorely mistaken.
"Oh - and Professor?" I said as she made to turn away. McGonagall glanced back, scanning my steadily growing grin. "You have my vote for Headmaster."
A wide smile broke across her cheeks, igniting a light in her face that I'd never had the pleasure of seeing.
"Good day, Potter." She inclined her head with a small chuckle. Slightly overwhelmed by her unexpected friendliness I took one last glance around the hall, laughing quietly at the tumbling snores issuing from Hagrid's gaping wide mouth. We had time.
"You coming?" Ron asked from feet away, a small smile tugging at his lips.
"Yeah." I replied quietly, scanning the crumbling ceiling. "Let's go."
He clapped me on the shoulder as we left the emptying great hall together, a strange sense of sorrowful contentedness washing over us. 'Mione and Ginny strolled arm in arm, Molly and Arthur by their side. Bill and Charlie seemed to be teasing an exasperated Percy, who shoved them in the ribs and laughed at whatever it was they were saying. Faintly in the distance I could see a seventh head of red bobbing across the sweeping lawns, heading for the wide open gates of Hogwarts.
"Parvati came up to us before," Ron muttered out of the corner of his mouth, watching Percy's laugh fade at the sight of his isolated brother. Bill grasped him by the shoulder and murmured something indistinguishable, the twinkle in his eye slowly going out.
"Oh yeah?" I asked, glancing to him. "She seems to have changed an awful lot since I last saw her."
"Yeah, she was besides herself." He continued quietly, looking back to her. "Started crying, apologised to Hermione for being a cow to her over the years. S'pose everyone's feeling that way."
"Tell me about it." I muttered. "Seamus apologised again for all that shit back in fifth year. And to be honest, I don't even care anymore. I don't care about anything, all I can think about is the fact that I haven't eaten in three days." I snorted, shaking my head.
"Mum said she's cooking a roast." Ron offered me a small grin, slinging his arm around my shoulder. "You're in luck."
"I really appreciate her letting me stay, you know." I murmured, averting my eyes. "I hope you know that."
"Och, get off it." He rolled his eyes. "It's as much your house as it is mine, at this point."
I didn't reply, letting my eyes graze back to Hermione and Ginny. It all felt much too easy. After all these years of having one single purpose in my life, I had no idea what to do. Every single motive, each step had been centred around Voldemort's next move. Accompanied by the aching throb on my forehead and constant, inner turmoil of rage. With both of these factors absent, I felt almost dazed. Strangely...calm. Waiting for the next obstacle to leap in my way, an abrupt awakening to reality. Things couldn't possibly be this light. It was the fake period of time between the aftermath and resumed life; where everyone was smiling and relieved, despite the devastation that surrounded us. Despite the fifty lives who were ripped from a Mother, Father, Sister or Brother. People were dead. People had been killed. Yet the rest of us expected it to all be happy and shiny because oh goodie, the chosen one has finally done his job. Life would resume, but to what cost?
"Harry? Harry!"
Hermione's voice was panicked, sending me stumbling backwards. Another person spoke, but their words were indistinguishable - ringing through my ears in slow motion. I only vaguely noticed the impact of my palms as they slammed into the wall behind me, blinking dazedly at the group of concerned expressions swimming into view.
"Take a deep breath." Ginny's murmur penetrated the blurred mix of voices, my eyes darting to her face. She nodded, scanning my face with a surprisingly calm expression. I inhaled sharply, letting the tense muscles in my constricted throat release. My shoulders slackened and I glanced down in confusion, unclenching my balled fists. They trembled slightly, 10 fingernail shaped indents etched into my scratched palms.
I buried them into my pockets, glancing back to Ginny's face. I opened my mouth to thank her, closing it again when the words didn't come. Her dark brown eyes softened slightly, lips mouthing the words 'I know.'
"I'm fine," I said in a hoarse voice, glancing to Hermione. Her eyes flashed, a deep frown etching itself into her forehead. My eyes flickered to Ron, who was scanning my face in concern.
"Must be delirious -" I swallowed audibly, forcing a laugh. "I'm absolutely starving."
Uncomfortably aware of the rest of the Weasley's unwavering attention I averted my eyes, making to take a step forwards. Ron gripped my shoulder in restraint, dragging my eyes to him.
"What just happened?" He asked underneath his breath, staring at me intently.
"Nothing." I replied quietly, glancing to Ginny. When he made no move to let go I scanned his face, clenching my jaw. "I'm fine."
"That wasn't nothing." He muttered, his eyebrows creasing.
"I said I'm fine." I repeated lowly. Ron stared into my eyes for a moment before he released me, his hand falling to his side. Ignoring the eight pairs of eyes burning into my skin like a brand I walked through the oak double doors of Hogwarts, descending each step with the weight of the world on my shoulders.
We had time.

...