He smiled the biggest smile I’d ever seen him smile, and squeezed her torso gently.

At dinner, we sat at the table talking about different things that had been going on in each of our lives.

“Mr. Robertson, Mrs. Robinson,” I started and wiped my mouth on a napkin.

“There’s something I need to tell you.” I said smiling.

They stared at me intently, watching me.

“Had I thought about this before I asked Gracie, I would’ve asked for your blessing. And I apologize for not doing so, but I asked your wonderful and beautiful daughter, to marry me.” I said and analyzed their faces.

Mrs. Robertson’s face was filled with joy, her cheeks rosy, and her eyes lined with tears of happiness. Mr. Robertson’s eyes were glassy and his face was expressionless.

“Well,” Gracie started. “Say something.” she said smiling.

“I need to talk to Declan. Alone.” he said as he rose from his seat.

“Yes, sir.” I said nervously.

I got up from my seat and kissed the top of Gracie’s head. I followed Mr. Robertson outside onto their patio.

He stood in silence, thinking of what to say for a few long seconds.

“Son, I hope this isn’t a joke.” he said. I looked at him confused.

“This isn-” he raised his hand, cutting me off.

“Let me finish,” he said and I nodded in agreement.

“Gracie loves you more than anyone she’s ever dated or ever even came in contact with. She talks about you constantly and she thinks the world of you. But the thing is, she’s dying. And it’s going to be a struggle.” he said, tears running down his face.

“I just don’t think you understand. I know you love her. But I love her more than anyone, I know what’s best for her, and I don’t think marriage is the best decision as of now.” he said.

“Sir, I mean no disrespect by this at all, but I love her more than anyone. I know she’s your little girl, but I’ve never ever felt this strongly about anyone before. I’m in love with her. And I know you’re afraid for her, I am too. I’m afraid that one day, I’ll wake up and she won’t be here. And the sad thing is, I know that day’s coming. I just want to give her the best life experience, and along the way I’ll get to marry the love of my life.” I said trying to be a man and hold back the tears.

He was silent as he stared at me with tear stained eyes.

“Okay, but if you break her heart, I’ll break your legs.” he said and I laughed.

“It wasn’t a joke.” he said quickly.

“Right…” I trailed off, slightly intimidated by his threat.

He gave me a few slaps on the back.

“You’re a good man, and I trust you. Don’t make me regret it.”

“I won’t, sir.” I said with a smile.

As I walked back in, Gracie looked at me her eyes searching my face. I smiled, trying to reassure her. Mr. Robertson excused himself and Mrs. Robertson into the kitchen.

“What’d he say to you?” Gracie asked, worried.

“After I convinced him, he gave his approval and told me that he’d break my legs if I broke your heart.” I said and Gracie let out a relieved laugh.