“Good, I never really liked her anyway.”

As I was lying outside, soaking up the sun I began to think about all the boys that have been in my life in the past few years. The thought of them all made me cringe. It felt like so long ago and they weren’t something that I liked to think about very much. My thoughts were disturbed by the vibrations of my phone. I went to pick up my phone and noticed it was a text from mine and Addie’s other best friend Jennifer.

“Jen’s here. I’ll get the door.” I said as I got up from where I was sitting and headed towards the front of the house.

“Okay.” Addie replied.

As I got to the front of my house I noticed Jen standing there looking a little lost as usual. I got closer and began to become aware of a dark purple bruise forming under her eye.

“What the hell happened to you?” I asked.

“N-nothing I fell. It’s n-not a big deal. I’m fine.” She replied stuttering.

I knew right away that it wasn’t nothing. There was something she wasn’t telling me. Come to think of it she’d been acting weird all summer. Almost as if she was covering up something. I didn’t want to get into it right now with her, so I left it alone. She already looked miserable and I didn’t want to make her feel worse.

“Okay.” I said as we started to head towards the backyard.

As we got near the deck I head Addie shriek “OH.MY.GOD! What happened to you Jen?”

“I-I- fell.” Jen replied her voice shaking.

I turned to Addie and gave her a look, hoping she would understand to just back off. She saw my look immediately and changed the subject.

“So I made out with Marc yesterday.” Addie said turning her attention back to Jen.

“Yeah, apparently it was amazing and it gave her butterflies” I said in an exaggerated tone.

“Stella! I did not say that.”

“So it sucked.”

“NO! It was just… different.”

“Different good or different bad? If it’s different good then you have nothing to worry about.” Jen said.

“Well some of us don’t have a perfect love life like you Jen.” Addie said.

“Speaking of Alex, how is he Jen?” I said flipping over on my front side.

“He’s okay. We got into a fight today, but everything is fine now. So Marc huh?” Jen said switching subjects. It was clear she didn’t want to talk about Alex.

“Yeah, but I don’t know about him. I haven’t talked to him since yesterday. Maybe it was just a one time thing.”

“Why don’t you just text him?” I said.

“I did but he never replied.” She replied.

“When did you text him?”

“Yesterday… It’s a bad thing that he didn’t reply right?” Addie said in a worried tone.

“Not necessarily. Maybe his phone died or something. He’ll reply soon enough.”

“Yeah.” She replied a little disappointed.

Once again my phone started vibrating. I turned to check it and saw it was a text from my mom telling me to be home soon. It was already 4:30 and I still had chores to do.

“Sorry to break up our girls day, but I got to start heading home now.”

“Aw, okay.” They both said in unison.

“Are we still going to see a movie Friday night?” I asked them.

“Yeah, I just need to check with my mom, but it should be okay.” Jen replied.

“Ya, I can come too.” Addie added.

“Okay I’ll see you guys Friday then. Oh and we still need to pick a movie.”

“I’ll check the movies when I get home” Jen said.

“Okay, sounds good.”

I started walking towards the front of the house when I heard Addie shout “Oh and Stella, don’t forget about what I said before about the year of boys.”

“Oh I won’t, anyway you’ll be reminding me every day. Bye guys!”

As I started walking towards the bus stop, I pulled out my iPod and selected a song. No one was at the bus stop, so I took a seat on the bench. A few minutes later, the bus came into view and I got up making my way towards it. I took a seat towards the back and continued to listen to my music, after a few minutes I was completely zoned out. A tap on my shoulder brought be back to Earth.

“Stella?”

I looked up from my iPod, and was shocked to see who was staring back at me.

“Zach?”

Kill me. Kill me right now.