Chapter 2

WELCOME NATALIE

           One week had passed by since Natalie’s birth. The week had been really well for the couple both in terms of finances and familial joy. Rihanna was still barred by script of the prescription from performing heavy-duty work but there was no harm in her performing mild physical activity. The blue wallpaper on the walls had faded in colour as it appeared more cyan than the actual royal blue. Rihanna, as usual had lit up the fire that seemed to burn all the worries of the couple. The dancing, rising smoke from the fire was as if ethereal, carrying their prayers to God for Natalie’s happiness and well-being. The fire also appeared to give a nod, by crackling, that the couple’s message had been delivered to God.
John was still obsessed with the fireplace, except that this time, he enjoyed the comfy company of his beloved, Natalie. Natalie’s eyes were immersed in her father’s face all the time, as if she had a prior knowledge of how this man related to him. She used to stare at her father’s face with eyes wide open and the biggest smile she could make. Her eyes, if not looking for her father, focussed on the faded wallpaper, as if she wanted it to be renewed. She soon fell asleep, thanks to the songs Rihanna used to hum from the kitchen.
              John placed his daughter carefully in the cradle and gave it a slight impetus. After assuring himself that Natalie won’t wake up from slumber anytime soon, he went to talk to Rihanna in the kitchen. The couple discussed about a whole lot of things, including finances, savings, dresses, schooling, etc. for Natalie. Their discussion was ultimately disrupted by the sound of the door bell. “Ting Tong, John are u there?”. After a brief pause, the sound of the bell was again conveyed, “Ting Tong, Rihanna?”. Both John and Rihanna became cheerful, as they know who it could be. John raced up to the door and opened it. An old yet smart couple was waiting outside. It was none other than Natalie’s maternal grandparents-Malcom and Kate.
The grandparents had been already informed about the birth of the child but they couldn’t arrive earlier on account of their neighbour’s ill health for a week. Kate just rushed in to see her grandchild. However, contrary to what John and Rihanna had expected, Kate recoiled when she heard from Rihanna that she had been blessed with a grand-daughter. Kate’s happiness had turned to dust overnight since she had long waited for the arrival of a male child. Her character was as if frozen in between the happiness of being a grandmother and self-created sadness due to the arrival of a girl child. John gently picked up Natalie from the cradle and took her to Kate.
             Kate was engaged in a bitter argument with Rihanna which was fuelled by the fact that Rihanna could not conceive again. As Kate turned violently to the other side and turned her back towards Rihanna, she almost collided with John. She would have certainly said something, had not her eyes stumbled upon the thing in John’s arms. As soon as Kate saw Natalie, she became overwhelmed. Natalie’s magic had worked wonders since her birth, after all! Kate hugged the baby tightly in her arms and gave in to her emotions. Malcom was equally happy to see his family completed. Natalie, having rosy lips and blush cheeks stared mischievously at her grandma, who had fallen in love with her at the first sight. From now on, Natalie lived like a Princess in her dad’s castle.
The Princess was fondly called ‘Diamond’ by John, as she used to sparkle. Her grandparents used to fulfil all her wishes at the earliest. Life was just a Bed of Roses for Natalie. Everything in the home was as per the likes of Natalie, who was colloquially called the ‘Lucky Charm’ of the family.
           About the time Natalie turned a year old, her father got a job offer from Panama. Natalie had to spend the next couple of years separated from her father, as in those days there wasn’t the least concept of social media or video calls or the likes. Long distance conversation was possible only via long distance calls, and more commonly letters. This communication barrier was the reason that John could not even hear with his own ears, the voice of Natalie as she struggled to utter her first syllable – PAPA.

So readers this is the beginning of life of sweet little Natalie.... Let's see Wat Life has in store for her....
Do let me know Wat u think of this story and if it needs improvisation...
But I would like to thank my best frnd who is helping me in all this...
#Thanku