Nine

Luke's grip on my wrist was getting tighter as he ran through town.

"Luke, please slow down!" I try to say as I stumble and trip over the gravel.

"Almost there!" He replied, running faster. I look up and see the train station. Luke stops and I fly forward, falling to the ground on my hands and knees.

"Fuck," I mumble and I stand up and wipe the dirt off of my body.

"Sorry, Ashley," Luke laughs. I shake my head and smile.

"Why are we here?" I ask Luke, searching his eyes.

"To go to the city, of course!" He smiles. His eyes dilate and I laugh.

"Okay, but why are we going to the city?"

"What, I can't bring my favorite person out?"

I smiled at his comment. I'm no ones favorite person.

We get on train 24 to Grand Central Station and sit in our seats. The world passes by and I can hear the whispers of the voices, but I'm with Luke. Something about him drowns them out, even when he doesn't say anything. Like Luke is louder than the voices.

I look up at him. He's staring out the window at the Hudson River.

"Do you think the Hudson River is pretty?" I ask.

"Yes." He replies.

"Why?"

"It's just a pretty color."

"Luke, that River is browner than my shit." I point out. The guy behind us laughs.

"We'll need to compare them one day, then."

I smile to myself and shake my head. That's Luke Hemmings for you.

I stop looking out the window once we are pulling into Grand Central Station. Nothing to look at instead of the darkness from the underground. I intertwine my fingers with his, and he doesn't hesitate to squeeze my hand. I feel a sense of security when I'm with him and I hate it. Not even my mother can give me what he gives me, and it just doesn't seem right.

The train comes to a stop and my eyes adjust to the dim lighting. Luke and I hop off the train, making our way to the building. Luke let's go of my hand and runs towards the main room of the train station, looking up at the ceiling. The constellations made the golden room old-looking and beautiful. He seemed fascinated by them.

"So, did you bring me here to look at the ceiling, or are we doing something else?"

Luke looks at me, confused for a moment, but then shakes his head and smiles. "Let's go."

We walk out into the muggy New York City. Ninety-eight degrees, humid, and dark clouds, probably holding future rain, lingered overhead. Luke tugs at the top of his shirt once he feels the heat. He tightens his grip on my hand and I feel him tug, and we are off. I notice from the familiar path that we're headed to Times Square. "Luke, where are we going?"

"I have a whole day planned, Ashley! A whole day." Luke looks up at the towering buildings as he speaks. "First, a walk around Times Square, and I'll even take you shopping if you want! Second, I take you out for lunch. Wherever you wanna go -- but I have a gift card to Friday's. Third, we can do whatever you'd like. But I have a special thing planned for tonight, okay?" He turns around and looks at me and I smile. He flashes a bright tooth-filled one right back at me as he continues to drag me towards Times Square. There was a heavy amount of tourists today. New York is never as crowded and smushed together as it looks, but today was an exception. Luke and I almost got separated from each other.