“Too happy”

“You’re too happy?” I laugh and she nods.

“Too happy”

“Well then you better get your dressing gown”

“Why?”

“They aren’t going to open themselves are they?”

                                                           ***

After about an hour of getting up Paisley has opened most of her presents from both me and Cheryl. Keeping her quiet so she doesn’t wake Joan and Garry has been difficult. She can hardly contain her excitement. I’m not surprised, if I was a three year old surrounded by all this I think I would fail to keep quiet too. She has a pile of Disney things, mostly Minnie and Mickey Mouse items and I’m sure she will need at least three wardrobes for all the clothes and shoes she got. At the minute the plastic play kitchen I got her seems to be her favourite as well as the cuddly Minnie doll to add to her growing collection. She’s sat cross legged on the floor and Cheryl’s reaching for yet another present from the sofa. She’s went overboard, she never even got this much at Christmas when I was back living with my family but for Cheryl money is no issue.

“Thank you” Paisley smiles as she takes it from Cheryl’s hands and she shakes it close to her ear. Not like most toddlers her age she actually appreciates every present she’s received.

“I’m not sure if they’re the right size and if you don’t like them I can always take them back” Cheryl says looking at me.

“I’m sure she will love them, she would be happy with a cardboard box this one”

I watch Paisley easily rip off the bright pink wrapping paper and she opens the box. Her arms shoot into the air along with a small black dr marten boot she’s just took out of the oblong shoebox. “I love them!” She screams.

“I wasn’t sure if they were really her style but I seen them and thought they were the cutest”

“Cheryl they’re gorgeous, can I have a look Pai?”

I study the tiny boot in my hand; they really are the ‘cutest’ as Cheryl has just described them. They won’t be spotless for long. I can see my face as I look at the patent leather, you can tell just by looking at them that they are fairly expensive. If it wasn’t for Cheryl she would never have clothes and shoes like the ones she does now. ”Do you like them?”

“Put them on!”

“Okay we can try them on to see if they fit”

She shuffles forward and it slide on easily. She watches intensely as I quickly tie the laces and as soon as I’m done she jumps up from the ground. She stands on one foot as she studies the boot on the other she’s holding out in front of her. “Do they fit?” Cheryl asks.

“They’re perfect she loves them! Thank you so much!”

“I still have one more thing” Cheryl gets up and leaves the room then comes back seconds later with a large envelop. I frown at her as she sits back on the floor right next to me. “Come here Paisley” She holds out a hand and Paisley comes over to sit on her knee.

“What’s this? You’ve bought her more than enough”

“This is for the both of you” She beams handing me the envelope. I just frown and she pats my knee. “Go on open it”

I warily do as she says and pull out three tickets. I skim my eyes over the printed letters and I cover my mouth with one hand while looking at her with wide eyes. “Oh my god” She’s grinning even wider not that I thought it was possible. “We’re … we’re going to America!” I almost shout flinging myself on top of Cheryl and she falls backwards onto the floor pulling me and Paisley with her. If theres one thing I’ve ever wanted to do and that’s to go to America, I’ve dreamed of going since I was a little girl but just came to the conclusion that I never would. Even if I had the money myself to go I could never justify spending all that money.