i had good intentions

i'm not perfect, the way you're perfect / and though it hurts, yeah, it hurts to say goodbye / i know i let you down / it wasn't that your love wasn't good enough / couldn't stick around / it's only in myself that I didn't trust
-good intentions, disclosure

**********

"Derek's here," Callie said, glancing out the living room window.

"Here goes nothing," Meredith sighed as she stood up. "You coming Amy?"

"Can you talk to him? He's just gonna yell at me," Amelia sighed. "Maybe you'll get lucky and he won't yell at you."

Meredith nodded sympathetically before practically running outside to talk to Derek. "I've got something to tell you," she said with an excited yet nervous smile.

"You look beautiful," he said with a smile, giving her a kiss.

"Thank you," Meredith replied. "So I got a roommate!"

"Who?" He wondered. "Are you sure that was a good idea?"

"Your sister, and I know it was a good idea," Meredith said quickly.

"What the hell do you mean?"

"Amelia is living with me now and I'm pretty sure I've convinced her to transfer to Seattle Prep this semester."

Derek shook his head and stormed past Meredith into the house. "Amelia!" he shouted from the foyer into the living room.

The small brunette appeared in the doorway and Meredith sighed, staying back by the front door. "What?" Amelia asked with a sigh.

"Who the fuck do you think you are taking advantage of my girlfriend?" He asked incredulously. "Why do you think you can just go and be a burden on anyone who's willing to put up with your shit? Meredith has lost everything and the fact that you decide to come in here and ruin her life more is just unbelievable," he yelled.

Amelia's eyes filled with tears and she glanced at Meredith before attempting to argue with her brother. "I-I didn't have anywhere else to-"

"You don't show up at my girlfriend's house and expect her to be a sister to you. She's not your sister," Derek said. "You have no one left, why don't you just deal with that instead of burdening someone else."

"She's not a burden, Derek, so shut the fuck up," Meredith said, walking over to Amelia and grabbing her hand. "I told her to come here because she is my sister. I may not be related to her but I feel like her sister. And it's really none of your business considering you haven't given a shit about her for the past year."

"She texted me every Sunday to tell me about her week. She cared when nobody else did. Not even my big brother," Amelia whispered, leaning into Meredith. "And I was too ashamed to ever reply but I showed up here with my tail between my legs and she took me in and is helping me get clean. I haven't had a drink since the 18th. And I know it's only been 4 days but it's the best I've done in awhile. So just...don't be mad at her. She's done everything for me."

"Exactly, and she doesn't owe you anything. You're just a selfish little brat," Derek spat.

"Leave her alone!" Meredith protested. "She's trying so hard Derek, can't you see that?"

"I can't see why you'd take in my little sister and not tell me for four days," Derek said. "You watched her leave, I don't know why the hell you're going against what my family thinks is best for her."

"Amelia, let's let them talk," Arizona said softly as she walked up behind the girl, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

The brunette shook her head and stayed clung to Meredith. "You're being such a fucking asshole, Derek. You're supposed to protect her!" Meredith shouted.