One: The Call

I'm going to kill them.

In that moment I knew it to be true. No matter what it cost me.

I, Macey Mc.Henry vow that- not as a teenage girl on a moment of impulse, but as cold hearted and calculated spy.

As a Gallagher Girl.

And no one is going to be able to stop me.

************

Two weeks earlier

"Where are you?" I muttered under my breath as my eyes scanned the ever present crowd. Crowds are good I reminded myself, it was one of the first things the Gallagher Academy had taught me. But now, when I was terribly excited to find a certain friend of mine this downtown New York City block was way too human-packed for my taste. You would think it was one of the most famous city's in the world or something.

I had been looking for her for almost fifteen minutes now, as I dove in and out of shops mixing the high end stores with the retail ones (no need to get a thief on my tail when I'm finally taking a break) and checked my watch. Tough I had an ever-ticking clock in my head already, the gesture just blended me in with my surroundings - everyone here in the city was on a tight schedule.

After another half-hour I was really impatient. I decided to get two peppermint bark shakes for us and stood outside a bridal boutique pretending to be interested in the sapphires and emeralds in the intricate embroideries of the gown on the other side of the glass. But I was just watching through the reflective surface trying to pick out a familiar shape. I had memorized all the stores on the surrounding blocks and picked out the ones she would most likely be interested in. And was careful to stray to those streets more often. We hadn't really planned on a specific meeting spot but I told her to be in the general area.

After buying ten little unplanned trinkets, and mentally recording how many guys stole glances at me (looks like being a spy still doesn't cross out being a teenage girl) it was an hour past our meeting time. I gritted my teeth. I didn't want to disturb Rebecca but she was probably the only one who could give me information about her. I wavered and eventually made the call.

I dialed her cell through my phone. She had a cellphone that was used for strictly 'non spy' calls and we talked only normal conversations on there. Besides a comms unit would be too suspicious now and I knew I wasn't the only agent on the block, much less the city. No need to get Interpol suspicious. Rumor was they were tracking a couple of middle level bank robbers.

She picked up on the third ring.

"Yes?" Bex asked, her tone nonchalant.

"Hey, are you sure that-" Bex cut me off.

"Yes, she is coming."

"It has been an hour past the time we were supposed to meet." I sounded bored.

"She is probably just taking her time." Bex reasoned. Or making trouble, I thought.

"Look I really don't think-" someone tapped me on the shoulder and I was just thinking how rude to do that to someone making a call when I saw her. How on earth did she sneak up on me? My eyes never left hers as I hung up the phone. "Never mind, talk to you later."

I swear I caught Bex sinker before the call ended.

"Hey." I greeted Elizabeth, it has been half a year since I last saw her, at Headmistress Morgan's wedding. Her curly hair was longer and she had gained some needed weight. Her smile melted my worry away in a fraction of a second. Her pale blue eyes were brighter than usual. Her style was much more to my taste than before too. It made her look like a popular girl in one of those high-school movies.