chapter 1

Mama! Will you come here for a minute? Mary yelled down the hallway trying to get her mothers attention. "Yes Mary I'm coming. What is it you need dear?"

Well I'm looking at some ads in this article and I'm afraid I have fallen deeply in love with this wedding dress! Mary said with a twinkle in her eye, that made her look quite convincing. " My dear girl, you are only 14 years old. You have a while to go before we will have to worry about that." Cora said chuckling at her daughters words.

Well I know, but you were young when you married Papa! Mary said trying to convince her mother that she wasn't all that young.

" I was 18 and that is quite different." she said trying to keep away from the topic of the real reason Robert had married her at such a young age. Downton was in trouble and she had the money to save it from crumbling down.

And may I ask how? butting in interrupting Cora from her thoughts.

"Yes, indeed you may."

You were 18 and I'm only 14. That's only 4 years difference.

" Age didn't matter then. My parents had the responsibility of finding me a title and a good husband who would take care of me. And your Grandmamma and Grandpa had the duty of finding a spouse for your father who would have enough mon......" but she stopped herself again before getting into the real reason of why he had chosen her. " Anywho, that was the reason we married so young."

Your father and mother didn't tell you to marry Papa though. Did they?

"No, as a matter of fact they did not really improve of him at first and either did I, but eventually I fell in love with him and then he proposed to me." not telling her that he was marrying her for the money although that didn't matter to him after he had gotten to know her and realized he was in love with her.

O please Mama! Tell me how you and Papa met and fell in love! Mary said with a huge grin going from one ear to the other.

"Okay." Cora said with a giggle. " I guess I have to now." pulling Mary to sit on the edge of the bed, she began the story of her and Robert's meeting that happened all those years ago.