Chapter 1

Your palace was alive with flitting maids, hurrying butlers, and determined knights. The quest to find a suitor for your majesty had long been raging. Too often, a potential husband was turned down, and he scurried out of the building in a dismal state. It seemed to many, that you would never find the right one, and you would be searching for eons – your spectral form wandering the palace halls aimlessly.

Your father and mother, King and Queen of Norway, wanted the finest man to be brought forwards. They believed that you should follow your heart, chase your desires, catch the eye of a charming young prince, fall deeply in love and marry, just as they had done.

Raised on a strict etiquette, you knew manners and pleasantries beyond comprehension, which enabled you to travel many countries and lands in an attempt to find your match.

It might not have been your sole life purpose, nor did you particularly care for it, but the need to bring home news of a romantic development was ever present in your mind, as you forced down the radical ideals of some such men. A lot of your suitors had kingdoms and knights – they were more than capable of ensuring your protection, but you strived for something different.

You strived for love – for a sense of contentment with your one true love. Society's opinions were none of your concern, for you showed little sign of hesitation upon learning of potentials within the villages – peasants, shall we say. To you, they were more than cattle. For generations, they had been safe under your family's rule. That gave any one of them claim to your heart.

Although, you relished the idea of living in a foreign country – perhaps meeting someone while there, settling down into a life of tranquillity.

Over the years, you had grown distant with your childhood views on romance. On the eve of your fifteenth birthday, you requested a chambermaid grant you audience with your father. She had no objections, as you laughed jovially together during your time in the palace, and since you had been travelling for many months, your family seemed detached. This was the reason for your request.

That, and the feeling of unease that came with being in your father's presence. He had changed little over the years, retaining his confident, caring demeanour, but he had obtained a steely gaze with his age.

Now he didn't like look quite so placid.

The walk to the throne room was veiled by a solemn silence. Your snowy nightdress draped along the floor as you moved, gracefully gliding down the hall, like a frightened ghost. Two menacing doors stood between you and the King. As they creaked open, artificial light poured out, temporarily blinding you.

Stepping through, you glimpsed both your father and mother, as they looked upon each other lovingly. Clearing your throat, you advanced.

"Father, mother." You greeted, curtsying.

Your mother clapped her hands and ran to you, wrapping her arms around your form in a tight embrace. It was true you had been separated for a while. As she cradled you, images of your childhood floated back, and her eyes filled with gentle tears.

She found your cheeks and cupped them, grazing her thumb across your face endearingly.

"I missed you so." Was all that escaped her lips.

"And I, you."

In an instant, she grasped your hands, leading you ever closer to the throne where your father sat. She twirled you around, watching as your dress twirled gorgeously.

"Your father and I have decided to accompany you on your next journey." She exclaimed, rather hushed.

"Pray tell, where?" You inquired, seeing a glint of mischief in your mother's eyes.

"Japan."