Chapter 22: A Baby

Start from the beginning

"Need me to hold her?" Carl asked looking to me.

"Sure." I nodded.

"You must be sore from holding her so much right?" He asked me with a smile.

I nodded. "Yeah. I've gotten a lot of arm strength from holding her all the time though so I'm not mad."

"Thank you again for saving her. You didn't have to do it." He smiled at me. I knew he wanted me to smile back, I could tell.

"I had to do it." I replied simply. I couldn't smile. Not now, not yet. Nothing gave me a reason to smile. I looked to him once more and he was looking ahead, almost frowning.

Not long after we got to the church. There was a cemetery next to it and a dirt road lead you to it. It looked nice still for what had happened.

"Hold up." Rick said before Gabriel opened the door. "Can we take a look around first? We just want to hold on to our squirrels." Rick said. It must've been a joke or something. It wasn't really funny.

A few of them went in and came out after a while. It was safe. They talked some. I just heard mumbles. I didn't pay attention to it.

We went inside and it was clean. I hadn't been in a church in almost two years. We all got in and I took my bag off then sat on a bench. I looked at the hymnal book and back up to the front.

I laid on the bench and looked up at the white ceiling.

"Lyla Rose?" I heard but I didn't sit up. "Lyla Rose?" I heard again and sat up. It was Michonne. "We are heading out to find some food. Stay safe here okay?"

I nodded once. "You too." I laid back down and covered my eyes. I cried lightly. I couldn't stop crying. I was such a wimp. I needed to suck it up or I would just bring everyone else down.

I was being a baby.

"Lyla." I heard as I wiped my eyes and looked to see Carl. He sat down and looked forward. I sat up next to him and sniffed lightly. We stayed quiet for a little bit.

"I-" he started as I looked over to him. "I know I don't know what's going on but I know you're hurting." He said as he kept looking forward. I didn't say anything.

"I'm here." He said turning to me. "If you need someone to cry on, if you need someone to forget about it with, anything, I'm here for you. Okay?" He asked with concern in his face. "Okay?" He asked again as I blinked slowly.

I nodded. "Okay." I kept nodding.

"So is there anything you need now?" He asked looking down and then back up to me.

I scooted closer to him and hugged him tightly. I cried lightly into his shoulder. This time it wasn't all because of what I did. It was also because he cared about me and because he was showing me he did. "Thank you." I whispered lightly as I took a deep breath to clear my sobs. "Thank you Carl."

I didn't use his name that often. This was one of the first times I did. I looked at him with a small smile. He smiled back caringly.

"I'm gonna go look around outside, wanna come?" He asked as I sniffled.

"Sure." I nodded as I walked outside with him.