"I want to know more about my mom. I don't know who she is, I don't even know her name. My dad would never tell me," Jasper scrambled to her feet. "The school library has a computer, and a bunch of newspapers. I need to find out more."

"Wait," El pleaded, her hand lashing out and wrapping around Jasper's wrist. "Don't leave me, please," the girl begged.

Jasper looked down at El with an empathetic smile. She gnawed on the flesh of her bottom lip thoughtfully. "Maybe I don't have to leave you," Jasper pondered aloud, rubbing her chin. "Maybe you can come with me."

El gazed up at her in puzzlement, her eyes narrowing at the red head. "Come with you?"

"Follow me," Jasper gripped El's hand, helping her get back on her feet. The two girls dashed up the stairs, with Jasper leading the way. She stopped at a small closet, opening the door widely and digging into an assortment of random clothes in boxes.

"These are my sister's old clothes she kept for me," Jasper explained over her shoulder. She pulled out a decent, blue sundress and a white jacket to go with it. "Change into these," she addressed the girl, directing her to the closest bathroom.

El obediently went inside, leaving the door open just a crack as they had practiced.

Jasper trudged into her room, pulling a box from her closet labeled "Drama Club". She and Dustin both had been in drama for three years now, allowing them to collect a huge amount of costumes. "This'll do," Jasper decided, holding up a short brown wig full of curls.

Eleven trailed into the room slowly, brushing the dress with her hands.

"Okay, let's put some makeup on you," Jasper instructed, hurrying downstairs and grabbing all of the makeup she could find in Ruby's room. "I'm definitely not the best with makeup, but I'll give it my best."

Quietly, El sat on Jasper's bed while the redhead sat opposite of her, gently applying makeup on the girl's face. She finished with a touch of lip gloss. "There. Now, the final piece," she announced proudly, helping put the wig on Eleven.

"Wow," Jasper breathed, admiring her work on El. "You look amazing," she complimented her as El strolled over to the mirror in her room.

"Pretty," El murmured to herself, a small smile etching onto her lips.

"Beautiful," Jasper corrected, coming to stand behind El as she stared at her reflection more. "Are you ready to go?"

El took a deep breath before nodding. "Ready," she mumbled.

"We won't be long. We have to be at the powerlines by 3:15, remember?" Jasper reminded her, sending the girl a warm smile.

The two girls stepped outside again, back into the fresh air. El felt different this time. She felt slightly less afraid, knowing that she couldn't be as easily recognized. And she owed it all to Jasper. The redhead was offering her more freedom in just a few measly hours than El had received her entire life.

"Let's go," Jasper instructed, climbing onto her bike. "I have to know about my mom," she spoke with determination, her blue eyes trained ahead on the street.

El hobbled onto the bike as well, wrapping her frail arms around Jasper again. The two girls rode down the street, enjoying the cool autumn air of Hawkins.