Chapter 18: Close Enough

Start from the beginning

"They might be dead. All of them." Carol said looking me in the eyes.

"They aren't. They're strong. They're alive." I answered her.

"You can't be sure." She answered.

"And neither can you." I added trying not to get upset but it was relevant in my voice. "They're my family, yours too. You should have some faith that they made it."

We stayed quiet for most of the night. Tyresse was having a nightmare but we both let him get through it. I remember when I used to be woken from a nightmare I would hit people and I didn't want to get slapped by Tyresse.

We went through about two or three more nights of stopping by overpasses to sleep. I didn't stay up for all of them, just the first one. We kept walking. It was taking a long time. Carol turned her jacket into a wrap for Judith so she wouldn't get sunburnt.

"I wish Georgia wasn't so hot." I said as we walked.

"Take off your flannel then. You'll cool down." Carol said looking to me.

"No it's okay." I shrugged lightly. At the same time I was worried. I didn't want to pass out again. We all sat down and I had time to patch up Tyresse's wound. He was pretty warm which made me think he might have a fever.

"Mika and I will go looking for some food and you three should stay here and wait." Carol instructed as we sat down. I fanned myself with my hand as Tyresse held Judith.

"If your hot you should take of your flannel." Tyresse suggested looking to me.

"No it's fine. I don't want to gross you both out." I answered. "We aren't moving so I'll get some breeze."

"How would you gross us out?" Lizzie asked confused. "It's just your arms."

"I don't want to talk about it." I smiled lightly before looking at the ground. I started fiddling with leaves. They played I spy for a while. Eventually Tyresse saw a walker so he gave me Judith and went to kill it.

"Stay here." He said before leaving but Lizzie ran after him.

"Really?" I sighed looking from her to Judith. "I like you better." I said in a baby voice as she smiled. "Yes I do." I said as I shook her sides making her giggle.

They came back over. "Did you get it?" I asked looking to Tyresse as I held Judith normally again.

He shook his head. "We didn't need to." Lizzie answered. I wish she would see them for what they are but I doubt she ever would.

Not long after Carol and Mika came back. They said they found a house and I was glad. We got to it and it looked safe. "Mika, Izzie, stay here with Judith while we look inside." Carol said as I got my knife in hand and we went into the door.

I looked around and didn't see any walkers. "So it-" I started to say before hearing gunshots. We ran outside and saw Mika pointing a gun at a walker she must've killed. Izzie cried looking at it as she had Judith in her hands who was crying too.

I grabbed Judith and Tyresse and I stood at the porch while Carol talked to the girls. It took some rocking but I eventually calmed her down.

"You're good with her." Tyresse said trying to lighten the mood.

"Thank God I am." I replied with a sigh. There were a few times that could've been much worse if I wasn't able to calm Judy down so I was glad I was good at it.