I Love Lucy

I Love Lucy         

                Big changes suck. I’ve always hated them. They just go in and rearrange life so that everything is upside down and I don’t know what’s going on anymore.

                This is why I was angry at my parents for bringing Marshall Gibson into our home.

                They adopted him when I was ten. They had tried getting pregnant numerous times, with failing results. When they couldn’t have their own baby, they decided to get a kid that wasn’t their own. They chose Marshall because he was the same age as I had been and he had needed at good home because he had been “troubled.” He lost his parents at young age, seven to be exact. When they died, he went from home to home, causing trouble that always got him kicked out.

                The day my parents came home with him, I had been furious. I didn’t talk to them for two days because of Marshall. When I heard his history of being kicked out of homes, I relaxed. I had figured it was only a matter of time before he did something terrible and had to leave. I began to tolerate Marshall.

                But my parents had been more tolerant with him than they ever had with me. When he got in trouble at school, they only grounded him. When he tried to steal from my parents, they took it back and took away his toys.

                You see, Marshall was a small blonde haired boy with brilliant green eyes that were always slit whilst he plotted. He was cocky and charming. He could work his way out of any trouble with a single look or smile.

                I had been twelve by the time I had finally caught him doing something bad. I found him with his hands rummaging through Mom’s jewelry box. He pulled out a silver necklace with diamonds encrusted in it. I stared at him open mouthed and gasped as he shut the box carefully.  He whirled to face me with eyes wide.

                “Put that back!” I yelled, suddenly angry.

                “No, it’s mine now,” He replied calmly.

                “It’s Mom’s! Not yours! You need to put it back!” I crossed my arms over my chest stubbornly. I heard the sound of tires on gravel and grinned. “They’re home. You don’t have any time to-” I was cut off by his lips crushing mine.

                I gasped under his mouth and stood straight as a board, not responding at all. I heard the jiggle of the necklace being moved. I assumed he slipped it into his pocket. He pulled away quickly, spared a glance for me and ran out of the room.

                Damn boy had stolen my first kiss.

                Later that evening, I heard Mom frantically shouting about her missing diamond necklace that had belonged to my grandma. She screamed for Marshall and I. “Where is it?” She demanded.

                “I don’t know,” Marshall shrugged.

                I glared at him. “Mom, I saw Marshall in your room doing something earlier.”

                She turned her furious scowl to him. “Empty your pockets. Now.”

                He nodded and pulled everything out of his pockets, “I don’t have it.” It wasn’t in the pile of gum wrappers and pen caps.

                She turned to me, “You better not be lying Lucy. Empty your pockets too.”

                I pulled everything out of my pockets. Empty wrappers, the earrings I had taken out earlier, and the necklace. I gasped when I pulled it out. Mom’s face turned bright red.