The Master & The Bull

One stiff and cold night the Master was alerted that his favorite prized cow Essie was under distress. The Master was so shocked by this, that as soon as the words hit his ears he shot across the room and started putting on his jacket and hat. "Call the doc! Something is wrong with my Essie!" He shouted out to all that could hear. The farm hands and the housekeepers all began scrambling around to the nearest phone. The Master ran all the way to the great 'ole barn in nothing but his striped jammies. He turned pale as he saw Essie lying helplessly on the barn floor. The Master ran over to her and kneeled down next to her. He began petting her head while sobbing uncontrollably. "What's the matter Essie. Why are you bleedin'?" The Master asked her while rubbing her back. Essie seemed to try to answer the Masters questions by forcing out small moo's. The Master knew it didn't look good for Essie and he felt helpless. He didn't know if she was attacked or if she injured herself, he just knew how much he loved her. He heard small rumbling in some hay near them. He turned his attention over to the haystack. He slowly began to rise to his feet and slowly walked towards the shuffles in the hay. He gave a quick peek into the haystack and low and behold shock took him over. "Essie...you had a babe!" He shouted with joy. Essie, you'll be fine, you just birthed a babe!" The Master shouted with joy. The doctor rushed into the barn with a surprised look on his face. "What's going on?" Questioned the doctor. "Essie had a babe!" The Master shouted with pride. The doctor looked over at Essie and quickly rushed over to her side. He looked puzzled and then opened his medicine bag. He listened around for a heartbeat. "Why the look doc. She'll be fine... won't she?" Asked the Master. The doctor shook his head and broke the bad news to him gently. The Master slumped down to the floor and cried liked never before. "I am sorry for your loss Master. I also observed the young calf. It looks sick and birthed too early. You would be better off giving it away," said the doctor. "No!" Said the Master. "But Master, it would be smarter to give it away before it catches disease and infect the rest of the barn," said the doctor. "The Master fought through his tears and shouted out, "I said no! That is final. This calf is all I have left of Essie. If he is sick we will make him better. We will make him healthy." "The doctor saw the crazy look in the Master eyes. "Yes sir," said the doctor as he began rolling up his sleeves and attended to the young calf.

Seasons flew by and the Master had grew older. The young calf of 'Essie The Great' had survived and turned into a fine strong bull. The Bull enjoyed running around his pasture all day long and enjoyed his daily meals that made him a big strong bull. He knew he was the prized bull when he won the County Fair. He always did love taking pictures, so to him showing off made him happy. The Master knew this and laughed loudly every time. "Yup... that's Essie's son alright," he would say while laughing and slapping his knee. The Bull would hear him and let out a puff from his nose while holding his head high in the air. That Bull sure was proud. The Master and the Bull was mighty proud of each other.

One day, someone spotted a coyote in the fields and the Master made an order to put up a fence to protect the Bull. The farm hands remember how heartbroken the Master was over 'Essie the Great' that they worked day and night making sure the Bull was protected. The Master was cutting and cleaning the pasture along with the farm hands. He could not do as much as he use to, because he was getting older, but he still gave it a try some times. He called it a great exercise. The Master and the Bull had so much love for one another, the Master would pet him and play with him while he picked up junk and trash. The Master gave the Bull a hug before he heard a twig crack behind the trees. The Bull let out a fierce snort and dug his foot into the dirt as a warning. "No Bull, run back to the farmhouse. Run!" The Master shouted while smacking the Bull on the rear end. The bull let out a grunt and took off running. The Master looked behind the trees and could only see a shadow in the distance. It was clear to him that it was a coyote. The Master hobbled as quickly as he could to his horse. "I'm right behind you Bull", he shouted while letting out a quick "Yah," to his horse. The Master swiftly lead through the trees on his horse as fast as he could to catch up with the Bull but the horse began to go crazy. So crazy, that it knocked the Master to the ground before it took off running again. "Ouch," said the Master when his butt hit the ground. The Master shook his head and looked around to see what happened. He saw the horse running away from him with the coyote staring at him on the pathway. The coyote began approaching the Master. "You better back off if you know what is good for you!" Shouted the Master. The coyote began licking his teeth and drooled heavily as he walked a little closer to the Master. Master began to tremble. "I am not food," He said as he looked around for a heavy rock. The coyote charged at Master and Master began to ready himself for a wild fight. Just as the coyote jumped to attack Master, the Bull charged in and gave the coyote a good ole boink to the ribs. The coyotes body slammed into a tree in the forest. The Bull stood firm in front of his Master and dug his foot into the dirt as a final warning. The coyote saw the crazy in the Bull's eyes and hobbled along crying into the forest.
The Master got up on to his feet with a tear in his eye. "Who knew the day I saved you, you would be the one to save me." The Bull put such a smile on his face before giving the Master a hug. "C'mon boy, let's go home," the Master said to him as they walked back into the pasture towards the farm house.

Lesson: The good deed you do for someone will return to you some day.