prologue

"Ser-en-dipity" Aunt Fel said, breaking the word up into several syllables so that Estelle could understand. Estelle focused on her aunt, how her tongue moved up to touch the roof of her mouth at the n, and how her lips curled a little at the r.

"Serendipity," She repeated, and even though she didn't say it as gracefully as her aunt did, it was okay. Estelle wasn't really the best with difficult words, no matter how many of those tongue twisters she tried. Even then, her aunt beamed at her proudly, dropping a kiss on her forehead.

"That's perfect." She smiled encouragingly, "You're getting better at this, Elle."

"What does it mean?" She said, curiosity taking over her, like it did every time her aunt taught her a new word.

"It means something good that happens by a coincidence." Her aunt said, making sure to speak slowly so that Estelle could register every single word, turning it over and over in her mind.

Her aunt then got up, remembering she had placed something on the stove, muttering about being right back. Estelle held the pen and started writing in her diary, adding yet another word to the long string of words all over the page. She then wrote down what it meant, before closing the diary shut.

Her writing resembled a first grader's, but it was great for someone who had learned to write all over again in just a time of two years. Now approximately 16, it was hard for her to fit amongst people her own age.

Aunt Fel told her that the damage that had occurred to her brain due to the accident had been so extreme that they had hardly expected her to be able to function like a normal human after the recovery. However, after having recovered, she could function just fine.

Only that she couldn't remember anything. She was taken to see two people, a man and a woman, both in their mid thirties. She was asked if she remembered them, and she stated that she couldn't. Neither could she remember the baby boy, approximately three years old. All of them had been dead.

They had told her that these were her parents, but there had been nothing. Nothing she could recall about them.

Forming words had been hard for her, as she had completely forgotten language as well. It was as if she was a newborn, only that she knew just a bit more than an actual newborn. And was larger in size.

The doctors had stated how a memory blackout that extreme was not very common, that the survivors mostly remembered how to speak and write and talk. However, that hadn't been the case with Estelle.

"Don't forget to finish all the cookies, Elle." She heard her aunt say, as she saw her walk out of the Kitchen, bringing her back from her reverie.

"Yes, Aunt Fel." Estelle said, smiling as she took another bite of the most delicious cookies she had ever tasted. And when she said 'ever', she meant in the last two years.

Just then, there were three faint knocks at the door. Mostly, her Aunt was always the one to see who was at the door. Estelle was still scared of human encounter, because it was strange. Humans were strange. And it would be safe to say that she had never really been the social type. She was still trying to understand.

However, when Estelle looked up to see her aunt standing on a chair, trying to reach something high up on the shelf, she knew she was caught up at the moment. As she heard the knocks again, this time fainter than before, she heard her aunt say;

"Will you get the door for me, sweetie? I'm afraid I'm a bit caught up here."

Estelle was reluctant as she stood up from where she had been sitting on the floor, dusting the crumbs off her dress. She slowly walked towards the door, her hands behind her back. Hands that were shaking.

She opened the door slowly, and stumbled back a little, out of instincts. But when she looked up to see who it was, she found herself staring into green eyes. Eyes that were greener than the grass in her lawn.

Alluring. For some reason, the one word that ran through her head was Alluring. Never had she known she could actually experience the meaning of a simple word.

Suddenly, she could look nowhere else, but she was brought back by the sound of the heavy breathing of the person, to whom those eyes belonged. His skin was too pale, his dark hair falling over his forehead, his dry lips parted slightly as if he wanted to say something but couldn't.

Suddenly, his knees gave out and he dropped onto the floor, right in front of her. Unconscious.