Chapter one - Muhammad and mountain

Today I don't feel like doing anything,

        I just wanna lay in my bed..

            At first, it started as a part of a dream, but after a while I realized it's actually my alarm urging me to wake up. Not opening my eyes, I begin searching for my phone, song irritating me with every passing minute. After turning it off, I once again vowed to myself to change it later. I mean, it just makes me feel lazier than I normally am in the morning. After a while of lying in bed, I finally dragged myself to bathroom and started doing my morning routine. When I came downstairs and into the kitchen, I realized that it strangely silent.

        I live in a Shelter. It's like an orphanage, but little different because it's only 15 of us and it's private. The owner, Valerie Wilde is the sweetest woman in the world, but she's also known to be quite stern if you break one of the rules. Trust me, I would know. She was married once, but her husband passed away when they were young, and she's been alone ever since. Despite her great love for kids, she was never able to have one, so she opened Shelter 30 years ago.

        Her house is huge, it is three stories high, and looked more like a dorm then a house to me. On first floor, there is big living room; dining room with huge wooden table and 16 chairs surrounding it; a kitchen and my favorite room in the house-small library. The second floor is where our bedrooms were. There were 12 rooms, three of them single bed rooms, the rest are shared. Luckily, being one of the oldest children, I was allowed to have a room just for myself and no matter how tiny it was, I loved it. At the end of the corridors were two huge bathrooms. The last floor is more like an attic, and there was where Valerie's room and bathroom were.

         Like I said before, Shelter is a little bit different than normal orphanage.Valerie takes troublesome kids and those one whom normal orphanage deeds will not be adopted. It's quite cruel to label someone as 'non-adoptive kind', but we all know the life itself is cruel. All of us have accepted that we will live here until we are 18, and then be forced to move out in order to give a chance other kids in need. Every child here is either abandoned by their parents or they died.

          My case is the first one.

          I lived in real orphanage for 10 years, but then one day Valerie came and took me with her. At first I was ecstatic, thinking I was finally getting adopted, but then she explained everything. I was okay with it, my 10 year old mind only able to process the fact I will have closest thing to a family I could ever have. And we all were indeed that-a family. Valerie was everything you need: a soft mother; stern father;caring aunt; funny uncle. She took care of us, helped us with everything. Bigger kids watched over little ones, meals were eaten together and every holiday spent the same. There were quarrels and fights that are bound to happen in every family, but nothing severe. And then,when you turn 18-it's all over. Approaching that age, Valerie spends time helping those kids find their own place and job. They are always welcomed to visit Shelter, just they have to move out of the house.

            And today is the day I was turning 18.

           It's not like I had to move out the same day, I was given two weeks since Valerie told me she already found a new kid who needs help. I was dreading this moment throughout whole year, but it came nevertheless. Guess my requests for aliens to abduct me the day before haven't worked out. Damn! Oh well, I always knew this day would come, only now that is finally here it petrifies me.How will I live on my own? Will I be able to find a better paying job? 

          The questions were swirling inside my head as I skipped towards living room, hoping to find out where everyone went. Just as I stepped inside, 15 people popped from different corners of room yelling: