Misty took another sip of her mojito and let the past take hold of her again.

She remembered leaving the clearing where the ruins of the castle were and choosing a path at random. She didn't know where she would sleep that night or what she would eat or even how she would survive in that new world. But Misty wasn't ready to give up. She didn't even try yet.

The sun disappeared from the sky without Misty realizing it. One moment she could see the leaves covering the soft soil, the next everything was covered in darkness. Sounds of the night coming alive were reaching her, but she only heard Rikat's words written on a piece of paper: "Time, my darling, passes more slowly in my world. But, of course, you had no way to know this." His words were haunting her, never giving her a second to make a plan, to try to survive in that new world.

Faint music made way into her mind, scaring away Rikat's words. Misty made her feet go faster, heading in the direction from where the music came. It wasn't the haunting melodies that Rikat loved to listen, but something joyful that stole laughter and happiness and gave it back tenfold. Following the notes, Misty stumbled upon a carnival. It wasn't like the ones she knew. This carnival was bigger, full of people and light, so different from the ones that came to her town. A tall fence rounded the carnival, the entrance only a couple of feet from where she was hiding. It was full of people becoming increasingly excited and impatient as they took a few steps forward every so often.

Misty got closer to the entrance, losing herself between the parents holding their children and lovers waiting to get in. not having any money, Misty didn't know how she could get in, but going back into the forest was not an option. Maybe she could convince someone that she got lost and help her find her nonexistent parents.

Closer to the entrance she could see the massive structures of the rides: a metal monster with waves made people scream, a wheel was turning slowly and a tower that had a plate that fell and rose from time to time. Looking at them she felt excited. What would it be like to get up there and ride? Getting closer to the entrance, Misty heard people selling tickets, which scared her desire like a vulture scared a rabbit.

Misty got to the gate, prepared to tell whatever lies she needed to get inside. Only it wasn't necessary. The ticket seller took one look at her, his eyes flashing green for a second and handed her a ticket.

"Go in," the guard grumbled not even looking at her a second time.

Misty passed through the gate but stopped to gaze at the guard that gave her a ticket.

What was happening? And analyzing the piece of paper, Misty saw it was different than the other tickets. The ticket glowed a green light, just like the quick twinkle from the eyes of the guard.  That made her suspicious; made her decide that she would not use it. Misty couldn't leave the carnival. It would look dubious, so she chose to walk around for a time before leaving that place.

With her mind made up, Misty went deeper into the carnival.

It was a place full of color, happiness, and constant movement. Nobody was standing still. Everyone moved from ride to stall or going into tents that advertised different things. The tents caught her attention more than the rides. The rides were inaccessible to her at that moment, but the tents... the tents were not very well guarded, so Misty could sneak between the colorful cloth and see what they did inside.

Misty passed a couple of tents before choosing one that stood out among the others. This one was made from patches of different cloths. Some were shiny, others were silky looking. One patch was black with small, numerous dots that gleamed when the light hit them and when she moved her head the dots changed places. There was another patch like that one on the front of the tent, right above the entrance. Moving her head this and that way she saw it was a sign saying: "Enter and know your future!"

Misty sneaked to the back of the tent. It wasn't very dark behind, but there weren't people around to see her. She caught a corner of the tent and raised it enough to get in.

Inside, Misty encountered rainbow painted scarfs thrown everywhere, giving the impression that the interior was bigger than it was. Candles were lit and scattered everywhere, making Misty wonder how could they burn without burning everything around them. A small round table, decorated with stars, moons, and pentagram was sitting in the middle. A crystal ball sat in the center, and next to that sat two worn decks of tarot cards, one black, and one white.

"Are you going to hide there all night, girly?" a voice of an old woman asked from the entrance of the tent, scaring Misty. The woman was old and grizzled. Her hair was silver and stringy, tied back in a blue band with little silver bells. The old woman was dressed like her tent: a dress made by colorful scarfs. "Come girl. Sit down," the old woman told her showing the chair that had the back to the entrance, while she sat at the opposite one.

Misty left her hiding place and sat down in the chair, ready to run when the opportunity arose.

"How did you know I was here?" Misty inquired, trying to look for a way to escape.

"Your ticket. Do you see that green glow? It shines green if the one holding it has special gifts,. It also tells me if I have uninvited guests," explained the woman.

"What special gifts?" Misty continued curiously.

"I will explain everything in due time. But tell me, what are you doing here? You are a long way from home," the old woman said her burning amber eyes piercing her soul.

"We are all far away from home. This carnival is in the middle of the forest," Misty said, trying to hide the suspicions caused by her question. How could she know that she was far from home? Misty was so far that she couldn't even imagine a way back.

The old woman smiled as if she was pleased – almost proud – of her answer. "Stupid you are not. Your mother didn't have your gift, but blood ran true in you, child," beamed the old woman.

"You knew my mother?" Misty asked skeptically.

"I'm your grandmother, child. You came here because you have the gift. I knew you didn't run off with a boy when you disappeared 224 years ago. You entered the castle, did you not? That's how you are here, now. Rikat let you leave, but that bastard didn't tell you that everything you know has moved on," the old woman explained, leaving Misty bewildered.

The music changed, Strauss "The Blue Danube Waltz" beginning and bringing Misty back to the present.

She owed her grandmother everything. Without her, Misty didn't know how she would have survived in that unknown, weird world. Her grandmother took her in and taught her everything she needed to know to survive.

Against all odds, she became a successful manager of a restaurant, enjoying and living her life. But something was missing. Misty found herself wondering about the castle and Rikat; wanting to know how he was and what he did. Those were dangerous thoughts. She knew that if she went in she wouldn't leave it another time.

Misty drank her mojito and left the glass on the table in front of the couch. She went to the bedroom, trying to forget about blue eyes burning with dragon fire.

While Misty got ready for bed, Rikat appeared in front of the windows in the living room, smirking and waiting. It was just a matter of time before she came. And he had all the time in the world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter words = 2090

Total words = 4201