Chapter 2: Uraza

Abeke was silent and stood in the empty field. She had been waiting for this day, not simply because it was her nameday but also because the air felt different. The winds had changed their course, called her name and carried the familiar smell in them.

Rain.

She had become the rain dancer for her village but had too learn much on her own for two years since the previous rain dancer had died. This would be extremely important for Abeke's village because of the drought, even the most reliable wells had dried up.

When Abeke looked to the sky, the sun had moved much farther than she had expected it to be. She needed to head back.

The sun burned mercilessly above the plains. Everything was dry, bushes weakly begged for water. A few trees stood far away from her, broad and with branches, different and wide, in a daze due to the air which vibrated from the heat.

In her village, where usually it was the men who went beyond the gate and hunted. Women scarcely went out on their own. What a surprise would the news of rain would be. The perfect way to celebrate her eleventh name-day.

Her sister, Soama, was prettier than her, could sing better, could weave better. Maybe she could even work better with her hands. But she was not going to be the next rain dancer.

A bit more than a year ago, Soama had given the village a woven cloth, with a picture of herons flying over a lake. Many people had said that they had never seen such a beautiful thing from such a young artist. But could they eat the cloth? Would the woven lake quench their thirst? Would the fake herons fill their bellies?

Abeke couldn't help smiling. As far as she knew, no child would had never brought a storm to end a drought as a name-day gift. Her village didn't need another decorated jar. There wasn't even water to put in it but soon there would be.

She was late. She didn't acknowledge her neighbors, who cast glares at her, as she hurried home. Like most other houses in her village, their hut was round, with stone walls and a conical roof made of reed. When she stormed inside she was awaited by Soama, who looked beautiful in her orange dress and shawl stitched with beads. Abeke definitely wasn't ugly but she wasn't beautiful either, she had lost it to her sister long ago. And she simply preferred practical clothes, and braids which you could put in a pony tail.

"Abeke!" Soama said. "Where were you? Does father know you're back?"

"I was beyond the enclosure," Abeke explained, "Who am I to be after this day?"

Soama placed a brown hand over her eyes. "Abeke, why are you always so strange? All of a sudden you disappear then return with nothing. Father was extremely worried. You will be late for your bonding ritual."

"It will be fine," Abeke said calmingly. "I will hurry. I'm not so precise as you. When they hear what I bring, no one will be disappointed."

The door behind Abeke opened.

She turned around and looked up at her her father, a tall, lean, strong man with a bald head. His eyes weren't friendly. "Abeke! Chinwe already said that you where back. I was planing to sent a group of people to find you."

"I wanted to give a great name-day gift," She said.

Her father breathed heavily and closed his eyes. He had to be careful not to raise his voice. "Abeke. This is a very important day. You're late. You're covered in dust and sweat. The entire village is worried about you, since you disappeared. Where is your logical sense? Your dignity?"