chapter 2

Kermit had married Jules six months after his divorce with Katy was final, he’d been seeing her since he left his first family, living off her when he had nothing. When she got pregnant with her first child, she had no idea it was his second. He had a second daughter, Megan and then another a year later, Laney. It wasn’t until Maya contacted Kermit that he came clean with his family about the one before them. He had been more shocked and touched that they’d accepted it and forgiven him than he could truly express. It was a large part of why he’d answered Maya the way he did, their actions never leaving his mind through the entire trip.

Their house was small the two girls shared a room, another for their parents. They had a basement and an attic and one bathroom. The basement was turned into a bedroom for Maya that she’d share with the laundry and some storage boxes of Christmas decorations. They’d curtained off one section of the space for her room, a bed, a dresser and a window near the ceiling. As she walked down the wooden steps to her room she felt like she was being exiled.

She found it hard to think of Megan and Laney as her sisters. Riley was her sister, these girls were just her father’s other kids. But at 10 and 11, neither of the girls were all too interested in a big sister they hadn’t known either. When the accepted that their dad had another kid they never planned on this girl coming into their life. Now that she was, they felt like a united front against her.

Maya was lying on her bed, staring up at the window when the girls came down. There was no door to knock on though Maya was sure they wouldn’t have knocked even if there was. “Sorry about your mom.” Laney began. Maya just turned her head to look at them. They could have been twins, almost completely identical. Maya didn’t say a word in return which made Laney look to Megan for some sort of instruction.

“This is our house.” Megan began. “Our parents, you’re just here till you’re 18 and then you’re gone.” She had a lot of guts for an 11 year old. Maya just stared at her, she didn’t look so much like them in her opinion. The fact that this teenage girl wouldn’t give her some kind of reaction unsettled Megan a little, but it also made her feel stronger, like she put this girl in her place. “You don’t belong here, he just feels bad for you because your mom died." She was seeing how far she could really push Maya. But she still didn’t respond, just stared Megan down.

“Meg.” Laney scolded, elbowing her sister, even she knew it was over the line. But Megan just scoffed and shrugged. When the two girls left Maya just laid back down and looked back to the window, she didn’t need to fight back with children who didn’t want her there. She didn’t want to be there either.