STIL6: The Boy Inside The Man

PRESENT DAY

                                          ------------------

     “Long time no see Vida.”

     Chronos bravely reached out to pat the top of her head.

     Don’t move, he prayed. Don't move Vida.

     The last thing he wanted now was her flinching and avoiding him in any way possible…

     His fingers gently grazed above her soft downy hair that she pulled back loosely today. That small square inch space that spanned his fingers was the only safe zone he was able to permit himself from touching.

     …and just like that even though it lasted only for a few seconds, he was able to touch Vida again.

     All he needed was that… for now he only needed just that brief two-second touch.

     “I’m sorry po… but…” Vida stepped back away from him afraid of the sudden familiarity that he displayed towards her and looked at him with eyes big with suspicion. “Do I know you?”

     His suspended arm on the air withdrew and went to his side. Slowly he clenched his fist fighting for control.

     “Siguro.” Maigsing sagot niya.

     Vida lifted an old binder book from her hand and flashed it at him. “This diary… my diary… that I don’t even remember writing has your name all over it---- ma-… manong …”

     “Manong?” natatawang sabi ni Chronos.

     How much did memory did she lose anyway? Chronos asked at the back of his mind.To call him by such meant that Vida might have lost more than what he was expecting.

     His stomach sunk in disappointment.

     In sync, she breathed in hard before continuing.

     “I might sound and look crazy but yesterday I was only 15.” She cracked into a whisper while her brows drew together.

     Ah…

     So today…

     Vida is 15.

                                              ------------------------