18: Who Is Nived

Maya's POV:

Nived sits across from me in my dining room, his eyes studying my own as we try to figure each other out. "You have a beautiful house." He says. I nod, "bought it a few years ago." There is a long pause in our conversation. "I'm just going to come out and say it," says Nived as he leans closer to me. "Do you know who I am?" I shrug, "maybe I do maybe I don't." He sighs, "I'm just trying to help Lara." "But why?" I counter, "I can't tell you." I glare at him. "Then I'm sure John would love too see these le-" "Ok!" He yells, "I'll tell you."

Nived's POV

"You see around the time that Lara was a little girl maybe 6 or 7, I was getting into the business of stocks. And then I met a man who at the time seemed like a great person who would help me be a good stocker, but now I know he is a terrible person."

I lift my eyes up to meet Maya, "that man was John Carter. He seemed like a great guy, he loaned me money seemed like he really wanted to get me in a better position than I was currently. But then it all went to hell."

"I remember John started having me sign these weird contracts that were hundreds of pages long. When I asked him about what was in them he assured me it was just some minor things I needed to sign. So I signed every contact, every last one of them. Little did I know John was using these contracts to get the upper hand on our partnership."

I could tell Maya was starting to feel bad for me as I took a pause to catch my breath. "So one day John informed me I had to pay him an annual of 100,000 dollars a month. I was shocked and when I asked him why he explained that it was all in the contracts. I remember his devilish smile as he saw the color drain from my face, he had me wrapped around his finger. Thinking quickly I told him I'd get it to him next week in cash but I'd have to talk to my bank for a couple of days. He bought it and the second I got home I started packing a bag."

"Me, my wife, and my daughter flew to Massachusetts, as far away from John as I could afford. I convinced my wife to live here, but in the back of my head I realized I had broken contract laws and was now a criminal. But I kept my head high and pretended everything was fine. And it was until 5 months after we moved in."

"My wife and I were driving home when out of nowhere a car smashed into us . I remember my wife on the ground as a man dragged her towards him. Then he... he raped her. I couldn't do anything for I felt to weak to move. When he was done be shot her dead. Then when he walked over to me I blacked out."

"Later when I woke up in a hospital I was informed some hikers found me next to the road with nothing else around, they also said I had a bullet in my chest. Before they could test me for fingerprints I escaped and have been living under the grid for years. I knew that if I ever came out of hiding I would be arrested."

"When I finally tracked down John I found out he was married to someone I cared about. So I've been trying to help this woman get out of her relationship with John for a few weeks now and-"

Maya cut me off. "Wait, you had a daughter, you had to abandon her, she doesn't know your alive. Your trying to save someone you care about from John. Are you... are you Lara's-"

"Yes," I answered, "I am her father." Maya was speechless so i continued. "I plan to take down John tonight, do you want to join me." She nodded. "Anything to take that son of a bi ch down and save my friend, I'm with you."

I smiled, "good, your gonna need a gun. And by the way, the names Devin, not Nived."

Author's Note: So Nived or David is actually Lara's father?!? Bet you didn't see THAT coming! Also Nived is Devin spelled backwards so yeah just a cool little note. This book only has a few more chapters before it's complete so keep an eye out! Comment. Like. Share. Bye!