Finding out

Brooke's POV:

It's been a couple of weeks since I've moved in, I have most of my boxes unpacked, and I've made friendly with most of the neighbors. One in particular being, Sarah. We'll pass each other in the mornings and ride the elevator together, sometimes even talk out on our balconies at night, since they are right next to each other. I like her, a lot. I don't open up easily to people, with my job, things I have to see, people I have to deal with, the emotional side of me is usually pretty closed off. I'll dodge certain personal questions and I'll give brief snippets of answers I know she wanted to be much longer. She tells me about her acting career, and her busy schedule, and I in return tell her about my insane schedule, even though I don't go into the actual detail of my work. I've grown strangely fond, and protective of her, not to mention she is absolutely gorgeous.

Sarah's POV:
I go out on my balcony, and look over at Brooke's apartment, she told me over coffee the other morning that she would be going to Nevada to work a case, she should be back sometime today. I sit and think about all of the meetings I have to attend tomorrow, I hear my phone ding.

I pull it out of my pocket and check the text message, it's from Amanda, my best friend:

"Hey Sar, have you heard about Holland?"

My stomach twists in knots, I type back,

"No, what's going on?"

"She's engaged. I thought I would tell you before it got out to the press, I'm so sorry she's doing this to you."

I reread her text a couple of times, no way. There's no way she could move on that fast, it's been five months, how could she already be in love? With someone else? I go back inside and fall into my living room chair,

"No there must be a mistake, there's no way she'd do that."

Within seconds Amanda dives into everything she knows about the situation, and by the time she finishes, I'm convinced. They've apparently been dating since we broke up, and they are ready to take the next step. I feel sick to my stomach, my eyes fill with tears as I throw my phone across the room. How can she do this? I curl up on my coach and cry, harder than I ever have before, my heart has been ripped from my chest.

Brooke's POV:

I feel numb. I know I'm moving, I know I'm putting the key into my apartment door, but I feel like I'm in a dream. This happens quite often with my job, the shock of how horrible and gruesome humans can be. A lot has happened in the past 3 days, ending in a car chase, which ended successfully, but not with out a few cons. We arrested the unsub, but in the process my partner and I were in a pretty bad car accident. My left arm is broken, and I've got a gash above my left eye, along with a few other cuts. It's been emotionally and physically exhausting, I drop my bag right as I enter the kitchen and start to pull out some pain medicine, I don't have a concussion, but The doctor prescribed me meds for headaches, and joint pain. I swallow two large white pills with water and make my way towards the balcony, half hoping to get some alone time, the other half, surprisingly longing to see Sarah. I slide the door open and step out into the night air. I look to my left, no Sarah, she must already be asleep. I sigh, realizing I didn't really want any alone time, and turn to walk back into my apartment, when I hear loud, heart wrenching sobs. I look closer and see that her balcony door is open, and the sounds are coming from her apartment, not thinking at all, the FBI agent fully taking form, I hop over the railing and pull myself over to her balcony.

"Sarah?! Are you ok?"

I speak loudly, but then lower my voice when I look inside from her balcony door. She's curled up in a ball on her couch, cheeks red and swollen, breath fast and panicky.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to- um I heard crying.......
Are you ok?"

I move closer, my voice lowered and soft,

"Sarah?"

She sits up slightly, but falls back down, her movements are slow, and I can smell wine. I look at her coffee table and sure enough, an empty 2 bottles lay sideways. She looks up at me and hangs her head low, still sobbing. I sit down next to her, her body is shaking, and her breaths are still uneven, I lay my hand softly on her back and begin to calm her down,

"Hey, it's ok, deep breaths." I whisper in a soft voice. I rub her back lightly, and without thinking yet again, I cup her hand. Her breathing eventually slows down, but the crying and shaking do not. She eventually leans her head against my shoulder, I wrap my arms around her, and lightly rub her arms, she finally speaks up,

"I don't know what I did wrong." She whimpers.

My heart breaks a little, I've never been able to open up emotionally, or comfort someone properly, but with her it's different, it's like it hurts me too. I pull her closer to me, and grab the nearest blanket on her couch and wrap her in it. She leans her body further into me, her head falling into my lap. I pull the blanket further up her body, and stroke her head,

"It's going to be ok, Sarah." I say softly.

After a while my pain medication starts to kick in, everything becomes hazy, I continue to stroke her head, but I look down and see she's asleep. I lean my head back, and slowly fade away.

Sarah's POV:

Two bottles later.... I can't move much, without the room shaking, I feel sick to my stomach. I can't catch my breath, I begin to panic. I hear a soft thud and then, to my drunken surprise, Brooke enters from my balcony door. I try to sit up and act normal, but it's too late for that, I can't pretend. She doesn't ask questions, she just holds me. Her arms wrapped around me, making me feel safe and stable. I hear her soft voice and I begin to relax, I don't want her to leave, please don't leave I thought, don't leave me alone, and then everything goes black.