VIII. GONE SOUTH

❝THE AIR SMELLS LIKE BURNING CHILDREN

❝THE AIR SMELLS LIKE BURNING CHILDREN.❞
-ROBERT R. MCCAMMON, GONE SOUTH (1992)

          THE NEWS ABOUT Christine Rix's body being found was playing downstairs in the living room. Tobias and Jillian were stuck in their seats. They listened intently as the reporter disclosed how Christine Rix was found: A student was on his way to the soccer field behind the school to get in a final game or two before winter rolled into Hawkins. He took a shortcut- the alleyway where Christine was discovered. Blood was falling from her nose and from her ears, her mouth was hung open as if gasping for breath, and her eyes were rolled upward, adding to the horror of her death. What made it all the more horrific was the fact that there were reportedly no visible wounds, and it seemed that she had just died on the spot. Nothing else about the accident has been determined.

          Faye was in her bedroom. She laid on her bed and just stared at the wall in front of her. Words were circling her head before leaving her mouth. 

          "I killed someone..." Faye whispered. "Dear God, she didn't deserve that..."

          But didn't she?

          "No."

          Not even after all she's done to you? Not after all the Hell she's put you through?

          "But she didn't deserve to die."

          No, she deserved something worse than that. She deserved to suffer years and years of torment and go through the nine circles of Hell like the demon she is! In fact, that's probably what she's doing now... Rotting in Hell and atoning for all the sins she's committed, spending her eternity in that firepit and reliving the memory of her death over and over-

          "Stop..."

          Until it's burned into her head that you, the girl she spent so long hurting, brought her down! Now that's what Hell truly is! Knowing that every mistake you've ever made would finally be your undoing-

          "Stop!"

          There was a knock at Faye's door. The hands that were pulling at the roots of Faye's hair fell to her lap and she looked at the door with teary eyes. She wiped them away with the sleeve of her sweater, muttering out a small, "Come in..."

          Jillian entered with Luna following closely behind. She pursed her lips at seeing her daughter so distraught, figuring Faye must have known the girl who passed away quite well. She said to her, "Faye, dear, Dustin is-uh- on the phone right now. He wants to talk to you..."

          "Okay, thank you." Faye hopped off of her bed, brushing past her mother. "And, it's not a phone. It's a walkie-talkie."

          "Right, right...Are you alright, sweetie?"