Chapter 2

Mike walked into the diner with his younger brother and glanced around. Every break that he returned he looked broader, taller, and more handsome. This year was no exception and Cora hated it. She hated that she was still attracted to him, she hated that he was successful, but most of all she hated that he knew. He was very much aware of her whenever she was around. It was only a matter of time before he spotted her.

"We need to go," whispered Cora, her voice full of panic.

Jessie nodded. She quickly rose from her seat and began the hunt for Alicia. All Cora could do was sit there and pray that Mike didn't spot her. She wasn't in the mood for the same conversation that occurred each time.

Cora was staring down at the table when a shadow suddenly extended across the table. She looked up and sighed.

"Hey Mike."

"Hey Cora," he said, his voice cool and calm. "How are you?"

"Let's just save both of us the trouble of this conversation and not have one at all. Things are the same here. They always will be."

Mike bent down so his face was inches from hers. "You're right, it never will change. Good luck Cora."

He walked away and didn't even bother to wish her a happy birthday. Cora had it. She got up from the table, ignoring the throbbing in her lower half, and stormed out of the restaurant.

"Wait Cora!" shouted Jessie as she chased after her.

Cora swung the car door open and picked up her leg to get it. The pain in her hip was so excruciating that she missed the car completely and fell on her back. She closed her eyes as the tears angrily pushed their way out of her eyes.

Jessie came to a skidding halt next to Cora and quickly lifted her into a sitting position. There were at least half a dozen people in the area but no one had come to help. She expected no less but had hoped for something more.

"I need to leave," whispered Cora.

Jessie could hear the pain and frustration in her voice. It broke her heart. "Then let's get you out of here."

Cora shook her head. "No, I need to leave this town."

She pulled herself up and got into the car without another word. It took a moment but Jessie finally made her way to the driver's side and started the car. They sat there for a while, staring at the working towns people.

Cora was the first to break the silence. "I can't live here anymore. These people, this town, the memories...I hate it all."

"Where are you gonna go Cora? This is your home and the people will eventually forget. It's only been two years since the accident. You're twenty and still young. You'll be okay."

Cora shook her head. "I'm sick of being blamed for the emotional damage to Mike when he was the one that walked away from the accident. You're my only friend, everyone else hates me."

"They don't hate you. The accident was devastating and no one knew how to react. Deflection and anger are the easiest emotions to adopt."

Cora knew Jessie was right but that didn't make it any easier. She wished more than anything she could have her old life back. The only problem was that it might have all been a lie. If these people could so easily abandon her then were they really her friends to begin with?

Jessie had been part of her group of friends since she was a little girl. They weren't close but got along just fine. It wasn't until after the accident that they became best friends. Everyone else had walked away but she stuck around. Besides her family, Jessie had been her one saving grace.