"You've been in New York for the last two years, a lot has happened and there is a lot going on, but none of it has anything to do with Mason!" Rhea insisted.

"Wait, let's back-up," Mason interrupted, "what was the ridiculous story that she told you."

"It's not important!" Rhea insisted, as Eli, her mother, and Cassie suddenly appeared in the kitchen doorway.

"I think it is, especially if it led Otto and Lola here into thinking that you and I are having an affair."

Cassie snorted behind Eli at Mason's revelation and Lola looked at Rhea in response, her sudden doubt caused by Cassie's lack of concern evident.

There was a tense silence as Lola looked at her best friend, realizing she had put her foot in it big time.

"I'm waiting for this ridiculous story." Mason insisted. He wasn't going to drop the subject.

Lola swallowed hard, looking apologetically at Rhea. "Rhea said that she and Eli had had an affair, and that you were trying to help Eli get back in her good graces because she doesn't think it would work out between them. She also said that Eli had claimed to love her." Lola shot a look over at Rhea to see how she was taking it but Rhea didn't notice because she had closed her eyes in mortification.

"And, of course, you don't believe that," Mason suggested throwing his apple in the trashcan across the kitchen.

"Of course not," Lola said wearily.

"I'm sure this was all started because Otto was jealous," Mason said grimly, looking over Lola's shoulder at Eli. They two men exchanged a look that no one else in to room understood.

Lola sunk into a chair, her focus completely on Rhea who was pressed up against the counter, trying to make herself as small as possible.

Rhea refused to look anywhere but at her feet as she wondered what she had done to make her end up in this mortifying situation.

"Otto doesn't think of Rhea that way, he never has, they're like brother and sister, he's worried about her is all." Lola said softly.

"That's not what it sounds like," Mason insisted, shooting a concerned look at Rhea.

Lola shrugged. "Otto has always had a thing for me."

"He has, has he?"

Rhea straightened her shoulders and stood up, this was not the time to cower or cry, she should be pleased that the point she had try to make to Eli yesterday had just been proven. That no one would take their relationship seriously. "Yes, he has. Ever since we were kids. Everyone in town knows it," she confirmed.

"Now, if you all want to eat lunch anytime soon I need to finish cooking." She looked at Mason pleading with him to get everyone out.

Thankfully he took her hint and started towards the door to the hallway.

Rhea dared to let herself glance at the little group gathered there, Cassie was watching Mason carefully and her mother was looking from one to the other trying to figure out what was really going on, while Eli had absolutely no expression on his face. It reminded her of the way he would look at Victoria when she was screaming at him. Lola hadn't moved from her chair.

Unable to take the attention she turned her back to everyone and went back to chopping her vegetables. If she ignored them they would all have to leave eventually.

After a few minutes she heard Lola's voice, "Rhea, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine Lola, why don't you go find something to do and let everything calm down. It will eventually."