Chapter 9

Present Day...

Rhea had let Otto and Lola talk her into a night out, they were going to grab a pizza and then go see a movie. It wasn't the most exciting plan ever but it was still a night out, and she had a feeling it was serving more than one purpose

Otto's main plan was Lola, he had had a crush on her since high school but they had run in very different circles then. However, since Lola's recent return from New York she was a different girl and much more friendly and open, a fact that Otto had pointed out to Rhea on more than one occasion.

This led Rhea to believe that he had devised a plan to team up with Lola, using a concern over Rhea's lack of a personal life as a uniting factor between them.

Sighing, Rhea ran a brush through her hair once more and then reached over for her purse to check that she had enough money as she heard Otto sound the ferry's horn. It was his last run for the night, which meant that she would have to stay at her father's place in town and return with Otto in the morning. She had told him that if she was going to go out with him and Lola they would have to get an extra early start in the morning.

She stood up and looked in the mirror once more, she was wearing her favorite pair of well-worn blue jeans that fit like a second skin and one of her favorite sweaters, it was pink cashmere and super soft. With her hair curling around her face she was pleased with the result she looked feminine and soft.

She could hear Otto calling her name as he walked towards the house and Lola laughing at something as the reached they porch below her.

Wishing that there was such a thing as a quiet night at home, she reached for her bag and headed down the stairs, taking them two at a time. When she reached the bottom of the stairs she heard voices coming from the living room so she moved in that direction.

"There's no way you remember me but we meet for like a second five years ago, backstage at one of your concerts," Lola said, holding out her hand as it was taken by Eli's large one.

"I do remember, your name is Lola," he said with a smile that was almost sincere. Anyone looking at him, who didn't know him well, would think it was sincere.

"Oh my God! I can't believe you remember my name!" Lola all but squealed.

"I've never meet another Lola, so the name stuck with me." Eli said, looking over Lola's shoulder at Rhea.

"Did you remember Rhea too?" Lola asked following his gaze.

"Sure, another interesting name." he commented as he pulled his hand away from Lola's and moved towards the piano.

"You told me that you had never been to one of his concerts!" Phoebe accused from her spot on the sofa. Phoebe and her mother had joined Eli, Mason, and Cassandra, and they were all watching the scene in front of them unfold with avid curiosity but for different reasons.

"I didn't get to watch the concert, Lola wouldn't let me, she insisted on staying backstage the entire time." Rhea couldn't look at Eli but she could feel his eyes on her. Was he remembering that night too?

"How's that drummer of yours? What was his name, Paxton?" Lola asked with a smile.

"Paxton is still around; he and the rest of the guys should be here next week."

This was news to Rhea and she tried to think of where she was going to put them all. She and Phoebe might have to share a room, Aion too.

"But you never said that you had met Eli before!" Phoebe whined once more, pulling Rhea's thoughts away from the the problem of finding a place for everyone to stay.

"You never asked, and I didn't expect him to remember me." Rhea shrugged.

Mason started coughing at her comment. "Sorry, I swallowed the wrong way." He banged his chest and Cassie slapped his back.

"It was a long time ago." Rhea's eyes narrowed a little as she looked at Mason and when she looked away she caught Otto looking at her oddly. Thankfully, Mason remained silent.

"Will you play a song for us before we go, you too Mrs. Stevens?" Lola asked.

"Please, call me Cassie, I would love to sing a song, how about you Eli?"

"I'll play, how's that?" he asked. "You like the old stuff, pick a song."

Cassie picked an old song to sing and her voice filled the room with its power, leaving them all mesmerized as she sang. Mason moved to stand next to Rhea as Cassie powered through the song. They were both watching the couple for very different reasons. Rhea's eyes were glued to Eli's fingers as they flew over the keys, thankful he wasn't singing because if he did she would have to sit down, and Mason was staring hard at his wife as she sang, his eyes darkening with love or desire, one couldn't be sure which, most likely both.

"Now it's your turn Eli!" Mason insisted as he threw his arm over Rhea's shoulders. Mason had always known what Eli's singing did to Rhea. He had asked once why she always sat down when Eli started to sing and Rhea had made some excuse about enjoying the show but he hadn't bought it, and had always teased her about the fact that Eli's voice made her weak in the knees.

"Don't worry, I'll hold you up!" he comforted with a soft whisper.

Rhea looked up a him with a scowl. 

"Maybe you've gotten stronger." He suggested, unaffected by her hard look.

She gave a short jerk of her head to imply that she hadn't gotten any stronger.

Eli's finger's trailed along the keys as he picked out a tune from memory and every one was silent, holding their breath, waiting to see which one of his hits he would play for them, but Rhea knew him better than that. She knew he would pick something completely random from the overwhelming amount of songs that he had memorized in his head.

He chose a song made famous by Bill Withers, 'Ain't No Sunshine', and it suited his deep gravelly voice. As soon as the first few lyrics had passed his lips she took Mason up on his offer and she leaned heavily on him. Just his voice and a piano did it to her every time.

She swallowed hard as she watched his hands and then his profile as he sang the song.

"That was for you Sunny," Mason whispered, placing a kiss on her cheek.

As the song ended everyone started clapping and Rhea turned her back on Eli so she couldn't see how much he had affected her with his singing. She moved away from the rest of the group and picked up her backpack as Lola descended on Eli, telling him how wonderful he was, and Otto was right behind her.

Rhea's mother walked towards her, putting her arms around Rhea's shoulders in a hug.

"Are you sure you don't need me to stay this evening?" Rhea asked for the hundredth time.

"I'm sure, you go have fun. I'm starting to worry about you." She pushed Rhea's hair behind one of her ears. "I need to start doing more around here. Watching you with all of these young people reminds me that you need to be out in the world not stuck here on this island for the rest of your life."

"Mama, I don't-"

"I know, but I'm going to talk to your father. He needs to start doing more too."

They had been talking softly in French and suddenly Rhea was aware that silence had descended around them at the sound of their earnest conversation.

"Phoebe, come help me with dinner," her mother insisted.

"Yes, we should be going." Otto said, grabbing Lola's arm as she said goodbye to Eli with an extra warm smile. Rhea did her best to act as if she didn't notice it or Eli's return smile as she turned and followed them out the door.

She missed Eli's smile fade and his hands as they clenched into fists by his side as she walked out of the door with another man.