Frowning, I focused on what she was saying. Mrs. Stanhope had mentioned the name before. I glanced over to where Mrs. Stanhope was examining cloths. "Was she a client here?" I asked, certain I would not be overheard getting more information.

"She was, Miss," the assistant answered, clearly delighted to have someone to speak to about the matter. "She fell down a flight of stairs."

Nothing sinister then. "Poor girl," I murmured, looking away. I chided myself for feeling disappointed. " It was sad when an accident of that nature occurs. Her family must be very saddened."

"Only I heard it was not truly an accident, and that Mr. Sherlock Holmes has been called into the case! To think I should know a person in one of his cases! Oh, not know personally, you understand. But she had always come here for her clothes. She is the third young lady to come to such a bad end these past few weeks."

Alert, I looked back at her. "Not an accident?" I repeated in puzzlement. What reason would there be to murder a young lady? "The third?

"Yes. She was very close friends with Lady Isabella, and everyone knows what happened to her! And then Miss Meyer, too!"

Did they? I was completely in the dark in the circumstances of Lady Isabella's death and knew only the barest of details regarding Miss Meyer's demise. "Come, get dressed, Miss Norton!" Mrs. Stanhope urged, interrupting the conversation before I could question it any further. "We must continue on."

I growled under my breath at the untimely interruption, but was more than ready to be free of the tight corset. After all, it would make my clothes look far to large and that was not appropriate for a young lady. I would speak to Mother and never put the terrible thing on again!

And, once I was home, I would scour the newspapers for news!

***

The moment I stepped into Briony Lodge, I rushed for the kitchen. Leigh, the butler, usually had the newspapers set aside to read at his leisure. He gave me a stern look when I asked for them, but obligingly handed them over. I spread them out on the table right then, and began to scan through the stories.

After nearly a half hour, I gave up hope. There was nothing on the death of Miss Amelia Johanson. I leaned back with a huff. "Did you not find what you're looking for, Miss Serena?" Mrs. Leigh asked, looking over. I shook my head, considering what to do next. "Well, have some tea and pastries. That'll cheer you up."

"No, I'm not hungry," I answered. I sighed, resigned to not knowing the truth of the matter. In all likelihood, Dr. Watson would write the case up and I would then read it in the Strand with the other published cases. "Thank you, Leigh."

"What were you looking for, Miss Serena?" he asked.

"I had heard something untoward happened to a Lady Isabella and was curious for the details, but it is of no matter," I answered. Thoughtfully, I walked upstairs. I did not like not knowing something. Perhaps if I were to visit Mrs. Hudson, I would learn something? "Fool," I whispered, shaking my head. "What does this have to do with you? Nothing."

"Serena? Is that you darling?" Mother called from the music room. "Come here for a moment."

Well, at least I could put an end to this corset business, and I readily went in. Mrs. Stanhope was already there, looking smug. For the first time, I felt a little bit afraid. She was so determined to have her way in things, but I couldn't tell how far she would go in the matter. And, as I had said, not knowing was not good. It put me at a disadvantage.

"Mrs. Stanhope said you were complaining at your fitting, Serena," Mother said, with a disapproving frown. She was seated at the piano, her music spread about her. "I know new corsets can be uncomfortable at first, but it must be done. You cannot dress like a child forever, and we agreed that this must happen."

My jaw dropped. "B-but, Mother!" I protested. Mrs. Stanhope was smiling with triumph. She thought she'd outwitted me. Well, I knew how to use my mind! "I have no objection to the change! I object to the size of my waist that she intends to inflict on me! I must be able to breathe, else how will I be able to practice singing?"

Mrs. Stanhope's smile faded slightly. "It cannot be that bad," Mother said, turning her attention to my governess. "How narrow did you say you wished Serena's waist to become?"

"I didn't say, Mrs. Norton," my governess answered, attempting to deflect the question. Mother frowned. "Its nothing to be concerned with. You know Miss Norton dislikes the changes that are necessary for a young lady. And I fear she is protesting because of her dislike of me and my methods. The size is what is expected of a young lady."

"Mother, I could not breathe!" I continued, pressing my point. "And she said I would receive a tighter one in a few months."

"Mrs. Stanhope, that is simply not acceptable," Mother said firmly, coming to a quick decision. "I appreciate that you are of an old-fashioned frame of mind, and my husband deemed that an important quality. However, this disfiguring of a young ladies figure for fashion is appalling to me, and I will not allow it to happen to my daughter."

I grinned in happiness, but saw that my governess was less than pleased. "As you say, Mrs. Norton," Mrs. Stanhope said, her tone tight.

Nodding once, Mother turned back to her music. Happy of my victory, I removed myself to my room. A death that was not accident, but for all intent and purposes sounded like an accident. That would occupy my mind for some time!

__________

On the right, Natasha Little as Irene Adler Norton