Shopping was simple. By the way Gabriel kept freezing as he reached for something or thought about going into a store, I had to figure he was going easy on me. We kept it to three stores and with only two hours of shopping. After all the hype, I expected more but I appreciated him holding back.

The three of them also managed to create a bubble around me, keeping others away. I never had to worry about bumping into someone. This wasn't as bad of a trip as I thought it would be.

After we got several pairs of jeans, some skirts, underwear, bras, and a whole bag full of shirts from button ups to t-shirts to tank tops, we finally slowed down enough to realize how hungry we were.

"We'll eat and then head out," Kota said and led the way to the food court, carrying a couple of bags while Silas held the rest of them. They didn't let me carry anything and since Gabriel was the one picking out the clothes for me try on, his hands were empty too.

Silas stayed with me while Kota and Gabriel went to get food.

"How are you doing?" he asked, sitting across from me.

I smiled at him. "A lot better than I thought."

He grinned, showing off his white teeth. "Good. The last thing I want to be a part of is a brawl in the middle of the mall."

I laughed. "Why a brawl?"

"Because I'm always on your side," he said and my cheeks warmed at his answer.

Something I was learning about Silas since escaping was how flirty he could be. He knew how to be smooth when he wanted to. I never got the chance to see this side of him while fighting for our lives and I was glad I could see it now.

Silas really knew how to lay it on thick.

"Sang, you get this tray," Gabriel said as he plopped a tray in front of me, making me jump a little. I didn't even sense him. Was I that distracted? Or was I finally getting used to feeling safe.

I looked down at the tray as Kota put down two more trays piled high with sandwiches and french fries. I cocked an eyebrow, but I knew they could devour all the food. They were shifters. Their stomachs were practically endless. Especially Silas. I watched as he claimed a whole tray to himself.

He just chuckled at me before unwrapping a chicken sandwich and taking a bite out of it. I followed along, unwrapping one of the three sandwiches before me. I considered it a win when I ate two of them. My appetite was slowly growing.

The others were devouring their food, so I waited patiently, watching the people around us. Kids were happy, parents were patient, the excitement filled the air. This was normal.

This was what I never got to witness growing up, not even as a little girl before my stepmother decided I was beneath her. I had never been treated like a human and I didn't really understand why until my first shift when I was eight.

When my dad realized I was just like him, we had a family talk, and then nothing was ever the same again. I became a beast, an animal, someone my stepmother wanted to put down. According to her, I didn't deserve to live and my coat of fur was more useful than I ever was.

"Get out of your head," Gabriel said, bumping his shoulder with mine. "Nothing in there matters right now. Not when you have the three of us here to keep you entertained."

I smiled. "Sorry. I guess I was just thinking too hard."

Gabriel bopped me on the head, light enough to barely feel. Any harder and I would have snarled at him as a warning. "If it's about the past, then don't. Focus on the now, otherwise you'll bury yourself with shitty memories and you don't need to deal with that shit. At least not right now. Just focus on getting better."