The Cold

I had washed him and brought him to bed. I just couldn't leave him alone in the living room.
I carefully moved a curl of hair out of his face and almost let out a little scream as I cupped his cheek with one of my hands.

"Matthew! You've gotten cold! Aren't you freezing?"

I jumped off the bed and went looking for another blanket. It should be somewhere in my closet down the hall... I dug myself through a layer of old stuffed animals and other childhood memories to finally get hold of the cloth. Hurrying back to my love I almost punched over a vase standing on my side table.

I sucked in my breath and whispered: "It's gonna be okay", this time clearly to myself only.

I got to his bed, laid the other blanket over him and tucked him in even deeper.

"You could have said something!", I harshly said to him.

"You are freezing! What if you catch a cold?" I looked at him sadly, his hurt eyes still resting on me.

"I'm sorry... It's not your fault. I should be mad at you"

I petted his head again and carefully crawled under the blanket.

Hugging him I pulled myself closer and said: "You don't have to be afraid. You're with me now... I'm yours and you are all mine", I circled my finger on his chest.

"... all mine".