Not over yet

Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. Seasons came and went, and the Avengers' mood didn't improve in the last. They were worried sick about their friend, no their family member, (Y/n). The unconscious agent didn't show any signs of waking up, and it had already been 8 months. Everyone tried to spend at least one hour with her, speak with her, tell her their days and how much they missed her. And every time they exited the healing room, their faces were dark and depressed.

But no one was as affected as Loki was. He was the shadow of himself. He spent his whole days and nights at (Y/n)'s side, angry with himself that his last words to his lover, or as he remembered his ex-lover, were this harsh. He regretted everything he had said on that day. He wished he could go back in time. Stop her from leaving their room. Hug her, and tell (Y/n) how much he loved her.

Loki sighed loudly on his armchair and rubbed his bloodshot eyes. His usual pulled back hair was a curly mess. He didn't even care about the odd looks he received. Taking care of his hair or himself in general wasn't an option. He would never leave the agent's side. Never again. Thor would often come and sit by his side. Both would watch the (y/h) haired agent, and hope she would open her (y/e/c) eyes. After a few minutes, Thor would try to convince his brother to come up and eat something. Loki would refuse everytime. And Thor would leave sandwiches and water before exiting the room.

The raven haired man slowly got up and walked towards the bed, sitting softly on it. Ever so slowly he took (Y/n)'s hand in his and rubbed it. She was cold, almost as if she was ... No he couldn't think about it, he needed to have faith. She was going to wake up, sooner or later. He hoped for the sooner, of course. 

Tiredly he glanced at the digital clock and gulped, tears were coming back. He wiped them off quickly then turned towards the fallen agent. Softly, he leaned in and kissed her forehead. His lips lingered on her skin not wanting to break the contact. After a few seconds, he drew back slightly and whispered with a broken voice.

"Happy Birthday, love ..."

Reader's POV:

Voices. Sometimes whispers. I could hear them. But I couldn't understand what they were saying. It was pitch black, all I could see was darkness. I was confused. 'Where am I ? And why ? What happened ?', I thought trying to remember something, anything. I felt weak and vulnerable. Suddenly, a scene appeared in front of my eyes. It was me. I could see myself in my combat suit, with unconscious children by my side. 

'That's right .. I was asked to retrieve those kids and bring them back to the Russian autorities. But .. that guy shot me.' Almost as in a theater, I saw the almost dead man point his gun at the children and he fired. I quickly wondered if I was dead. My wounds seemed rather deep, and I was losing a lot of blood. That would explain why I didn't see anything, except memories. That would also explain the voices, maybe they were ghosts.

A shiver shook my very being thinking that it was over. I wouldn't open my eyes ever again. I wouldn't see my friends, no they were much more, my family anymore. No more eating Steve's delicious food with Thor. No more Tony's constant teasing. No more learning with Bruce. No more trainings, goodbyes, missions, and welcome backs. No more Clint, Nat, Bucky.

No more Loki. His silhouette appeared in front of me. He was wearing his gold armor, with his famous goat-like helmet. Just seeing him brought a smile on my face. Even with everything that happened and everything that was said, I couldn't deny it. I was still in love with the God of Mischief. 

My vision blurred and I realised that I was crying. No I didn't want all of this to end. Not now ! I wiped my eyes harshly then slapped my cheeks, trying to compose myself. With a new found resolve, I looked around me, looking for something. How was I supposed to get out when I didn't even know where I was ? Panic began to slowly emerge in me, so I ran. Where to ? I didn't know, I was just trying to get out of here.