two

I awoke to a loud tapping on the front door. Shit, is Steve here to pick me up for the party already? Oh, I'm so screwed. I make my way to the door, swinging it open to reveal my neighbor.

"Hey, Joyce!" I said, relieved that it wasn't Steve. "By any chance do you know the time?"

"It's 4:30." She sighed, running her hand through her hair.

"How can I help you, Mrs. Byers?" I questioned.

"My son, have you seen him?"

"Johnathon? Yeah, I saw him at school this morning. Why?" I opened the door further, beckoning her in.

"No, my son Will. I'm sorry, I should be more specific." She sighed, releasing a little bit of her stress. She sat down on the couch, glancing around. "By any chance can I have a glass of water?" I nodded, retreating to the kitchen and grabbing a glass of water.

"I'm sorry, Joyce. I haven't seen him. Do you need help looking?" She shook her head, taking a sip of water.

"I'm sorry for the trouble. I have to get looking. Thank you." With that, she stood, placing her water down on the table next to the couch.

"No problem. But seriously, if you need any help, you know our house number. Don't hesitate to call." She nodded at this and walked out the door. Once it was closed, I went to go get ready for the party.

After showering and doing my (h/c) hair, I picked out a casual but cute outfit (below) and threw it on. I quickly redid my makeup, not much, but enough to see in the dark of a party.

 I quickly redid my makeup, not much, but enough to see in the dark of a party

When I was finished, I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. It was about 5:30. I wonder if Steve is bringing Nancy. That would be pretty lame. She doesn't seem like she would be pretty fun at parties.

Ring

Ring

Ring

My phone trilled loudly, startling me slightly. I reached over to pick it up, raising it to my ear. The other end was almost dead silent.

"Hello?" I called into the phone, there was no answer, but I did hear labored breaths in the background. "Hello?" A small whimper sounds through the phone. "This isn't funny, who is this?" I snapped, fed up and slightly scared. Silence.

"Hello?" I whisper shouted. As soon as that word left my lips, a bloodcurdling, ear-splitting shriek ripped through the phone and my ear, causing me to slam it back down on the receiver.

What. The. Fuck.

Probably just a prank call. I'll get over it. It was pretty damn scary though. The scream echoed through my mind over and over. Whoever did that must be a really good actor, because it sounded so real and genuine.

I ran my hand through my (h/l) hair. Whatever. I get prank called all the time. It was probably one of Steve's friends trying to mess with me. Wait, I wonder if there will be a keg at the party tonight. There better be. I'm the only person in town who can beat Steve in keg stands, and I feel like showing him up today. Prepare to be embarrassed, Harrington. I'm a good friend, I swear.