44 | Warning System

Start from the beginning

"We can't consecrate her!" Kol shouts, his expression full of fear. Cora's expression also flickers with horror.

"What the hell are you taking about?" Marcel asks.

Kol clenches his jaw, "The Ancestors despise Davina. If we consecrate her, she'll wake up in their domain, and they will destroy her."

"If we don't, we never see her again," Marcel argues.

"That's enough!" Cora yells, still holding her friend. "Listen to Vincent!"

Derek is taken aback by the behavior. Cora must really be upset if she is snapping at everyone.

"We all want to help her, so we need to make sure that she's consecrated, but she's got to be safe so we're gonna pull her into a place where she's protected, then we can resurrect her," Vincent says as he looks down at Davina's body. "And that's gonna require a lot of energy, and my power's not what it used to be before I got shunned."

"Well, we need Freya," Lexi suggests. "Together, we can do it."

"You really think they will help?" Kol questions. "Nik hates Davina. Freya will not defy him."

"This wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for your family!" Marcel yells.

"Calm the hell down," Lexi snaps. "Freya will cooperate. I'll make sure of it." Lexi looks back at Davina's body, her eyes getting sad. "Prepare her body. Everyone else come with me."

—|—|—|—

After a remarkably small amount of arguing, Klaus had instantly agreed to make Freya help the young witch. Freya had come up with a plan. "Alexis and I will draw Davina's spirit to a circle," Freya explains. "She will feel safer with Alexis' familiar magic combined with mine. As long as she's here, the Ancestors won't be able to torment her. With luck, that will buy you some time to find a way to resurrect her, but we'll need to channel an Original if I'm going to sustain the spell."

"Well, take me," Kol volunteers. "Put me down for all I care, if it keeps her safe."

"No, you've been marred by the Ancestor's magic," Lexi states, avoiding eye contact with everyone, including Derek. He can't help but feel angry.

She is blocking him out. She is blocking him out. While he is grateful to be involved in the Mikaelsons' planning, she is blocking him out.

"So, Niklaus, Elijah. Rock, paper, scissors," Freya says, turning to them.

As if a gust of wind blew through the compound, every candle's flame winks out. "That can't be good," Derek mutters.

"My early warning system," Freya breaths, fear flickering over her expression. "I think a New Orleans witch is trying to meddle with one of you."

"Lucien has the new Regent at his beck and call. It's me he's coming after," Klaus predicts, completely confident.

When Rebekah's portrait bursts into flames, his demeanor shifts. Lexi is frozen in her spot, eyes wide. Elijah tenses and Freya gasps, "No, he's going after Rebekah."

Lexi watches the painting turn to ash. Her eyes do not move. Derek discreetly moves over to her, slipping his hand into her's. She does not acknowledge him.

"Lucien thought that killing Cami would have me charging into his lair on a suicide mission," Klaus says. "When it didn't, he set his sights on Rebekah. She's kicking hornets' nests, until we have no choice but to confront him."

"Presumably, he still believes she's at the bottom of the ocean," Elijah reminds them. Lexi's eyes move to the ground.

"I cloaked all of you," Freya says, looking at her siblings. "But with the Ancestors working for Lucien, it may take awhile, but if he wants to find Rebekah, he will."

"I'll go get her," Klaus states.

"It's not safe out there," Derek points out, knowing that if Klaus walks out, he may not come back.

"What then?!" Klaus yells. "Are we to sit here and play cards until Lucien slides Rebekah's bitten corpse down the hall?!"

Lexi clenches her jaw, finally looking up. "I'll go." She rips her hand from Derek's and makes her way to the exit.

Klaus grabs her arm, stopping her in her tracks. "Let me go, Niklaus, so help me—"

"I moved her."

Lexi meets his eyes, shock covering her features. "What, don't look so surprised. I never did like you two sharing secrets."

"Tell me where she is, unless you expect me to stay here and leave our sister entirely defenseless," Lexi growls. "This is my fault. I pissed off the bloody Ancestors. I developed a friendship with Davina which led to Kol's relationship. I daggered Rebekah and left her defenseless. There is no way in hell I am staying here."

Klaus stares her down before he turns to Elijah. "I expect you to prevent Kol from suffering the same loss that I did. Lucien deserves our collective ire. Today, your grievances are tabled." He looks back down at Lexi. "I guess we have an adventure ahead of us, don't we, sister?"

Klaus sends her a smirk before he walks out. Lexi glances over her shoulder at a wide-eyed Derek. "Bring her back and don't die." Then, without waiting for a response, she leaves.

Catching up to her brother, she finds Hayley sneaking up on them. "Seriously?" Klaus groans when he sees the hybrid.

"Look, Klaus, we both know how this is going to go down," Hayley says, crossing her arms. "You're going to tell me that I can't come, and then I'm going to tell you that I love Rebekah, too. Then you're going to say, I'm going to slow you down, and I'm going to remind you that you're the one who cursed me to be a werewolf for six months, and therefore, I know every inch of the bayou. Now, unless you want to be delayed by an angry werewolf grandma with a shotgun, you should just admit that you need me."

Klaus stares at her for a long time. "I'll drive."

"Hell, no," Lexi scoffs, plucking the keys from his grasp. "You drive like an old lady."

"Great," Klaus mutters as he and Hayley follow Lexi to the car. "We're going to die via Lexi's driving before we even make it to Rebekah."

"Shut it."

What's up with Cora, guys? Who knows? Hope you enjoyed!