Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

She raised an eyebrow. "It's all scary."

"Be brave," he said cheekily, smirking at her as they reached Edward's office. "Deep breath?"

"I'm fine," she said, bitter at his smirk, wringing her hands fearfully.

He knocked on the door, then led her inside.

"Good morning, Harry, Emmy." Edward was looking chirpy and sounded joyful as he watched them file into his office, a broad smile on his face. "I hope Christmas and New Year were good?"

Harry glanced at Emmy, the thought of her – drunken and giggling and flirtatious – flashed in his mind, and he smirked. As though reading his thoughts, she glared at him; a silent threat for him to keep his mouth shut. "Yes, great."

"A lot of fun," Emmy added.

Harry broke into a grin, amused by her word. Edward, professional as ever, simply moved on from the conversation, ready to get to work. He shuffled his papers on his desk, tapped randomly on his iPad and cleared his throat before looking up and surveying the two of them. He smiled.

"You both know why we're here."

"To prepare for our wedding of the decade," Harry said dryly, then rolled his eyes as Edward nodded.

"Precisely," Edward said. "Have you two spoken about it?"

They glanced at each other, Emmy ducking her head and biting her lip, thinking that they were supposed to have done so. From their expressions, Edward already knew the answer.

"Never mind, never mind, I'm sure you've both been busy." His smile looked slightly forced now – probably disappointed that the meeting would take longer than planned. "We shall discuss it now, no problem."

Harry nodded, throwing Emmy a reassuring smile as Edward's attention turned to the meeting's agenda he'd drafted up.

"So," the secretary said. "Westminster Abbey is the favourite with the family."

"That's good," Harry said. "A bit more personal."

Emmy turned to him, incredulous. Personal?! Westminster Abbey?! She swallowed her disbelief and looked round to see Edward nodding.

"Yes, a lot more convenient too. There's lots of room for guests, and it's easier for the procession and all that pageantry nonsense," he said. "Your grandmother made the final decision. Your father wanted it to be at St Paul's."

"That's what I was expecting," Harry said. "Since the wedding is meant to be as...royal as possible."

"Hmm, it was simply unrealistic for you to marry at St Paul's but William, the heir to the throne, to marry at Westminster Abbey. So no, no cathedral."

"The Abbey's cool," Harry replied, turning to Emmy. "You okay with that?"

Emmy shrugged. "Doesn't really make a difference to me."

"It's your wedding too, you have to say if you're not happy with something," he said gently. "Don't worry about what we'll think."

She hesitated, then said shyly. "If Westminster Abbey is more personal...then I'm happy with that."

"Good." He winked reassuringly at her before looking back at Edward. "Now what? The date?"

"Precisely." Edward tapped randomly on his tablet, then moved his gaze to his notes. "Okay, the date is quite a tricky subject. April and May are out of the question."