Chapter 10: The Junkyard

Start from the beginning

Once she was done, she said, "Okay, let's do this. Can you guys go find five bottles while I prep the shooting range?" Max gestured to the objects in Chloe's hands with her finger. "Beer and guns, nice combo..." She said. "Hell yeah it's a nice combo! C'mon Max, let's go find some shit to shoot!" I told her. "See? Where's that in you?" I heard Chloe say.

This really isn't that bad. Chloe and I talked when she went to Blackwell a few years back, but after that, never really heard from her again. Now here we are. Don't know why I didn't reconize her before. Probably all the blue hair shit she's got going. She did mention someone named Max before, but I never assumed it was Max Caulfield.

Then Rachel came along. They would hang with us sometimes but all that stopped when Chloe was expelled and Rachel disappeared.

"No way in hell are you leaving me to do this by myself." I turned around and saw Max with her hands gripped to her hips. "Huh?" I questioned her. Max groaned and grabbed my arm and dragged me through the junkyard for bottles to find.

************

Max and I entered a junk shack located in the junkyard. What caught my attention first was a yellow tapestry with an elephant on it. There were a few posters hanging. Even a dart board. I saw another bottle and gave it to Max. "What do you think this place is?" Max asked. I shrugged. "Could be anything really." I told her.

Max picked up two bracelets with the letters C and R. "That kinda hurts..." She said. "Does that stand for..." "Chloe and Rachel." Max told me. I shrugged. "Well, they were best friends." I said with a shrug. Max hit my arm. "Ow." "We were too... Until I left like an asshole." She said with a frown. She put the bracelets down and walked out.

Real nice Daniel. Friend of the year.

I took one last look around the place and left with Max.

We gave the bottles to Chloe. She took them one by one and placed them beside one another. "One more for the road." She said and placed the bottle she was drinking out of down beside the others. "You're serious about this..." Max said to her. Chloe nodded and said, "We're going to shoot all these bottles without wasting a single bullet." I crossed my arms. "Alright. Fire away." I told her. Chloe aimed her gun and looked at Max.

"Max, you have to help me aim." She said. "Show me the way, Max."

"I need to see you shoot first." Max said.

Chloe shot the revolver. The bullet going left. Missing the bottle. "Wow. What the fuck was that?!" I said, tipping over with laughter. Chloe glared at me. "Daniel, if you don't stop laughing." Chloe said.

(Rewind)

"Show me the way, Max."

"Aim a bit to the right." Max told her.

"Sir, yes, sir!" Chloe said and shot the first bottle with no trouble.

I nodded. "Cool man. I expected you to fuck it up." I said. "Oh yes! Did you see that shit, guys?" Chloe said. "Duh." Max muttered. Chloe jumped excitingly. "That was so fucking cool!" She said. "Just don't kill anyone." I told her. "Don't ruin this for me, skater boy!" Chloe smiled smugly. "Now for the second bottle." She said.

"Now Max, where do I aim?"

"You're on target, pull the trigger." Max told Chloe.

Chloe did as told... and missed. "Bro!" I said as I started to laugh. "Are you doing this on purpose?" Chloe glared at me and said, "Daniel, I swear to god."

(Rewind)

"Now Max, where do I aim?" Chloe asked. "Aim slightly above." Max assured.

"Right between the eyes..." Chloe said. An evil grin forming on her face. I ran my fingers through my hair as Chloe shot the second bottle. "Watch out, Nathan!" Chloe said.

"Now that is fun. Let's pump up the volume and find me another target." Chloe said to us. "Let's get creative." I said. "Fuck yes!" Chloe said to me. Max nodded to the left. "Let's take out this wheel rim on your left." She said. Chloe aimed at the rounded object. "Taking out the wheel rim now..." She said and shot it. The bullet deflected off the rim and pierced the third bottle. Chloe smiled widely.

"Hella yes!" She said, a proud smile on her face.

"Nice shootin', Tex." Max said with her hand on her hip. "So cool, man." I said. "Now that's what I'm talking about!" Chloe told us. "Satisfied?" Max asked her. "Like, never. So I want one more ubercool trick shot..." Chloe said. "What about that?" I suggested, pointing at rusted car. "Let's put some holes into that rust head!" Chloe said, aiming the gun at it.

"Put a real dent in that front bumper." Max said.

Oh no, not a good idea.

"Goodbye, cruel bumper..." Chloe muttered. "No, wait!" I said. But Chloe already pulled the trigger. The bullet bounced back and hit Chloe in the chest. "Jesus. I shot myself! I shot myself!" Chloe repeated. "Aw fuck!" I panicked. Chloe fell to her knees. "Back up, back up!" Chloe said. Referring to Max's rewind powers. "Stupid gun! Hold on Chloe!" Max said.

(Rewind)

"Try that left tire." I said. "Adios, spinning wheel of death..." Chloe said with a grin. The bullet flew into the tire. The rusty vehicle began sliding down the pile of trash it was sitting on. Then it fell onto the rest of the bottles.

I nodded my head and laughed. "Haha! Cool!" I said. Chloe and Max high fived and fist bumped. "I cannot believe this is for reals. My best friend is a superhero!" Chloe turned to me. "You have to believe us now." I smiled and shrugged. "I will admit. Things seem a little... strange." I said.

Chloe turned to Max. "Now it's your turn to bust a cap." She said. Max placed her hand against her forehead. "I don't know..." Max spoke slowly. Chloe and I looked at each other.

Max's nose started bleeding again.

"Max, your nose. Damn..." Chloe said as blood leaked out of Max's nose. Max started to wobble. "I... don't... feel so super..." She muttered slowly. She then started to fall. Chloe caught her and kneeled to the ground. "Max!" She shouted.

"Holy fuck!" I shouted. "Daniel, quick! Help me!" "I—I don't—what do I do?!" "Pick her up!" She said. I dropped my skateboard and grabbed her out of Chloe's grasp. "Okay, now where?" I quickly asked. "Over there!" Chloe said as she ran over to another rusted car. I quickly walked over to the car as Chloe sat down.

Chloe patted her hand against her thigh. I laid Max's head against her lap. "Is she gonna be okay?" I asked, more calmly. Chloe ran her fingers through Max's hair. "I hope so." She said, still sounding scared.

"Fuck!" I said as I placed my hands against the back of my head and started pacing.

Hopefully she's okay.