Part 18 - Mind Messages

Start from the beginning

I take out my keys and unlock my door.

"Hello?" I call out, "Is anyone home?"

I walk into the kitchen and see Elise sitting there, tears in her eyes.

"Elise, what's wrong?" I throw my backpack on the ground and rush over to her.

"He broke up with me" She cried, "Caleb broke up with me."

"Who's Caleb?" I ask.

"He was my boyfriend," She sniffed.

"You had a boyfriend?" I practically yell.

She started to sob even louder, "He's been my boyfriend for a year."

"A year?!" I actually yell this time.

"Yes," She sobs.

"Why didn't I know about this?" I ask.

"I didn't tell anyone because my parents didn't let me see him," She quietly said.

"Why didn't they let you see him?"

"Because he's a 'bad boy'" She uses her fingers to create air quotations.

"What do you mean?"

She grabs a tissue and blows her nose before talking, "He's gotten expelled from a school before and he stole something from a store."

No wonder her parents wouldn't let her hang out with him.

"Wait," I begin to say, "Why did he break up with you?"

She wipes her eyes with a tissue and begins to talk, "Because his parents are sending him to a boarding school in California,"

She looks down and speaks softly, "And he didn't think he could handle the long distance."

I pull her head to my chest. She cries quietly for a few minutes. I look out the kitchen window and see a blurb of red and blue fly by.

"Hey, I have to go do a ton of homework to do," I lie, "Just try to cheer up, it'll all be OK, trust me." I rub her shoulders.

I grab my bag and start to run upstairs. I quickly stop and turn around, "Don't come into my room until 7, I'm working on Peter's birthday surprise and I don't want anyone to see it."

She nods sadly. I walk upstairs.

I get upstairs and lock my door. I change into my outfit that I wear as Gemini. I open my balcony door and try my best to climb up on the balcony edge and follow it to the wall so I could climb up to the roof.

I finally reach the top and look at the view of New York. I climb down the ladder on the other side of the roof and set off for the town.

I tried to hurry while I ran into town. When I finally made it, I saw no crime being committed.

I walked around town looking like a mass murderer for about a half hour before I saw three men with masks in a convenience store window heading for the cash register.

I quietly opened the door while they had their backs turned and walked into the store. I snuck around trying to hide behind shelves and racks of food.

I quickly moved places and knocked over an apple.

The men looked my way and I heard one whisper, "Look around see if someone is here." The store was quiet and I could only hear myself breathe.

"Hey! What the-" The words were cut off by two punches and two thuds.

I peeked around the corner and saw Spider-Man standing there.

He looked over and saw me, "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I came to help," I respond trying to act confident.

"Well, you sure did a lot to help. Hiding behind a shelf is a huge help," He joked.

I rolled my eyes and froze in place when I remembered something.

"Wait," I said moving closer to Spider-Man. I motioned for him to be quiet.

I was near his face when I said, "There were three men." in a whisper voice.

I began to look around. Spider-Man and I split up and walked around the store looking the last man. I walked to the back of the store and opened the doors for the storage room. I turned to the right to look at some boxes.

"Put your hands up, and back out of the room," I heard a gruff voice say.

I panic and put my hands up. I walk backward out of the room and see a man in a ghost mask holding a gun up near my face.

"Who are you?" He asks when we get back into an aisle of the store.

I don't respond.

"Aren't you one of Stark's little stooges?" He asked poking the gun closer to me.

"Gemini?" I hear Peter call.

"Dammit," I say.

Peter turns the corner and sees me and the man.

"Oh," The man chuckles, "Looks like we've got another little visitor."

He points the gun at Spider-Man, "Put your hands up in the air and don't move at all."

Peter obeys.

"Why can't she do something to attack this guy?" I hear a voice say. But it wasn't just any voice, it was Peter's voice. But he didn't say it out loud. He was thinking it. I could hear what he thought.

"It's too risky," I think, although I wish I could tell him.

"Gemini? Is that you?" I hear him think again.

"Yeah, it's me. Can you hear what I say to you?" I think.

"Yeah, I can. So you can read my mind?" He replies.

"I-I guess." I think. I start to breathe heavily out of shock. This can't be happening. First tlekenisis and now I can read minds and send mind messages?

"Cool!" He exclaims except he said it out loud.

"What was that Spidey?" The guy says and points the gun at him.

"Oh, uh nothing," Peter says.

"I ought to shoot you first, and make your little girlfriend watch."

"S-She's not my girlfriend," Peter says.

"Who cares, she's gonna watch you die." He said pointing the gun at Peter's chest.

I watched the man's thumb move to the trigger. It all seemed like it was in slow motion.

"No!" I screamed and moved my hands so that the gun moved away from Peter and towards the window. The bullet plowed through the glass window causing it to shatter.

I motioned my head the side and watched as the man was shoved to the side and knocked unconscious.

Spider-Man was staring at me his lenses wide.

"Wow," He said.

"Come on let's get out of here," I say walking towards the door.

"One sec," Peter said and walked over to all three men and shot webs at them tying them up.

"OK, let's go." He said.

We ran out the door and towards an alley.

"Want a lift?' Peter asked holding out his hand.

"Sure, the same place as last time."

"OK," Peter said shooting a web onto the top of the building.

I grabbed onto him as he held me around the waist. And we swung away into the night.