Chapter 54

Hey, guys! I'm finally out of school and done with all of my pesky exams. Sorry it took so long, but I should be writing pretty regularly now! I won't bore you anymore with this, so without further rambling, I give you the next chapter. (It won't be very long, but I'm just posting right now to show I'm not dead. There will be more up tomorrow.)

Hermione didn't know what to say. She stared at the spot where Ron was just moments ago and felt her throat constrict. She felt the warmth and pressure of Draco's hand in hers, returning a reassuring squeeze.

"Sorry," Draco said, not looking very sorry at all. "I just get sick of seeing him tailing after you all the time – he acts like you're his property."

She turned to face him, a hint of anger in her eyes.

"What are you trying to say – that I'm your property?"

He pulled his hand away, his face flooding with a mixture of hurt and confusion. She instantly felt horrible. She sighed, slipping her hand back into his.

"I'm just a little -"

"Upset. I get it." He finished, walking ahead of her.

She had to assume a light jog in order to keep up with his stride.

"Draco – I'm sorry." She said, panting as they rounded a corner into an empty corridor.

She almost ran into him when he stopped in the middle of it. He turned to face her, stress registering on his face.

"You shouldn't be the one apologizing. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I let that Weasel – Weasley get the best of me." He corrected himself with one look at the expression on her face.

"It just… It just bothers me, alright?"

She raised her eyebrow skeptically.

"So, let me get this straight – THE Draco Malfoy is jealous of Ronald Weasley?" She kept her tone light, but was genuinely curious.

"Yes." He said solemnly, no hint of a smile playing at his lips.

"W-what?"

"Yes, I'm jealous."

"Y-you're actually s-serious?"

"Yes."

"But… why?" She asked, quite at a loss for words.

"Because." He stated simply. "You're with him a lot of the time, he obviously has a large crush on you, and has the subtlety of a giant."

"Draco," she stated slowly, wondering if there was anything affecting his mind. "we've been over this…"

"I know you like me more than him – at least in the romantic sense. I just don't know when he's going to reach his breaking point and finally kiss you."

"B-" she began, only to be cut off by him holding up a pale, long hand.

"I know you don't like him. I'm very aware that you don't like him. I'm just telling you what I see happening within the next few weeks, if not days. A man can only take a certain amount of this before he finally snaps, and as much as I hate to say it, Weasley's just like the rest of us." He finished, shrugging.

"Draco, you have nothing to worry about – "

"Oh, I know. It's him that should be worried, actually…"

"Draco." She said warningly.

"Hermione." He shot back, mocking her tone.

It took all of her willpower to keep herself from stamping her foot, but she resisted, opting for a glare instead. He quickly changed the subject.