Chapter 1: Blackwell Academy

Start from the beginning

"Now Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" Max eyed nervously at the teacher and shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

"I did know! ...But I kinda forgot." She said awkwardly. Mr. Jefferson sighed. "You either know this or not, Max." He said. "Is there anybody here who knows their stuff?" Victoria put her hand up. Mr. Jefferson pointed at her. "Louis Daguerre was a French painter who created "daguerreotypes" a process that gave portraits a sharp reflective style, like a mirror." She said.

Victoria looked at Max and smirked at her. "Now you're totally stuck in the Retro Zone. Sad face." Mr. Jefferson smiled. "Very good, Victoria." He said. "The Deguerreian Process brought out the fine detail in people's faces, making them extremely popular from the eighteen-hundreds onward." Mr. Jefferson continued to talk until the bell finally rang.

"And guys don't forget the deadline to submit a photo in the "Everyday Heroes" contest. I'll fly out with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world." Uh-huh's and yep's echoed through the room. "It's great exposure and it can kickstart a career in photography." He added. "So Stella and Allyssa, get it together. Taylor, don't hide, I'm still waiting for your entry too. And yes Max, I see you pretending not to see me." And with that, Mr. Jefferson went to his desk.

I ran my hands through my hair stood up. "Daniel?" Kate said. "What's up?" I asked as I looked at her. She nodded toward my skateboard under the table. "Your skateboard." That makes four times I almost forgot my skateboard in Mr. Jefferson's classroom. Making four times Kate had to remind me.

Once I had it in hand, I nodded at her. "Thanks..." I said. A small smile curved in her lips and she nodded back.

"Hi, Kate." Max greeted. "Oh, hi Max." Kate said back.

As I left them and made my way out, Mr. Jefferson looked up from Victoria. "Daniel, if I catch you skating around the halls with that thing again..." He said. "You won't." I assured him. I pushed the door open and entered the halls of Blackwell Academy. Filled with a bunch of other students attending the school.

Like Evan Harris. We rarely talk to each other.

Dana Ward. She's really hot. Can't say the same for Alyssa Anderson. Wish I could.

Brooke Scott is a total nerd. You can't keep a conversation where she doesn't talk about her dumbass drone.

There's Logan Robertson. Pushing around another kid named Daniel. Daniel DaCosta. All he ever does is spend time drawing in his sketchpad.

Me? I skate around Arcadia Bay with Justin and Trevor the second we get the chance. Which really isn't much anymore. We're known around Blackwell as "those skaters." Sometimes "skater fags." It's whatever though. We give two shits what people think of us.

Down the hall is a missing person poster. Rachel Amber has been gone for months now. I remember when she was the most popular person here in BlackHell. She was also really hot. What can I say? There are a lot of hot girls at Blackwell. That's probably one of the only good things about this school.

Actually, from time to time, Rachel and a friend of hers would hang out with me and the guys at the park. But that was a while ago now. I don't really remember her friend either.

I leaned against the wall and popped my earbuds in and turned on some music.

After a few minutes of chilling and gathering my thoughts, I left to my next class. I then saw Nathan suspiciously entering the girls' washroom. I don't know what he's doing, but it's fucking weird as hell. I shrugged it off and walked to my next class. When suddenly I was stopped by Principal Wells. He pointed at his ear. Signalling for me to take out my earbuds.

"Have you and your friends been skating around Blackwell, Mr. Connors?" He asked. "Nope. All good from here." I told him. He glared at me. "How many times do I have to go over the 'no skating policy' with you?" He said.

Shit, here we go.

"As much as it takes, dude." I told him. He crossed his arms. "Then let me inform you, skating is strictly not aloud on school grounds—" I sighed and suddenly trailed off when a blue-haired girl entered the building.

She was wearing a dark blue beanie, a necklace with three bullets, a black leather jacket, a white shirt with a skull on it, pale ripped jeans, and black boots. I watched as she glanced around before entering the girls' washroom.

But for some reason, there was something very familiar about her.

"Are you listening Daniel?" Principal Wells asked. I looked back at him. "I'm sorry, what, bro?" I asked. "I said if you continue to do so, I'll have to send Mr. Madsen to come and get you." I rolled my eyes. "Ah. Right. Madsen... everyone's favorite security guard." I said with an amused grin. "I don't appreciate the sarcasm either, Mr. Connors." The principal said. I sighed. "Okay. Fine. I promise I won't—"

Then bang.