Chapter 9 Mosasaurus

Echidna

Echidna

~~~

Despite Alpha's bungalow being near the sea, there is no cooling sea breeze to ease the tropical heat. There is, however, shade from tall trees with large fanning leaves and the occasional cloud.

The bungalow, being a trailer and a small wooden house, sits right on the shoreline, on the plush green grass only a few feet away from the sand.

"What do they want now?" Owen grumbles as the sleek white car pulls up. He glances back at me as the passenger's exit and I quickly close my eyes and will my reptilian scales to retreat. I've always been able to hide my scales due to the strand of chameleon DNA in my body. My eyes, teeth, and nails, however, can never be hidden.

Claire Dearing, the park manager, and her assistant, Luciana James, stroll up, somehow managing to keep their heels from sinking into the dirt. The pair eyes me and I give a wide toothy grin.

I have regulations on my movements in the park, I'm not to go anywhere without hiding my scales and without Owen by my side. I even have a neck implant like the other beasts here.

"Mr. Grady?" Claire Dearing greets and Owen stands up. He'd been working on his bike like usual. She pauses and only greets me after Luciana nudges her. "Echidna."

"Mrs. Dearing, the woman with Mrs. Dearing's scent all over her," I greet coyly and the assistant blushes a bright red. Owen chuckles and gives me a low discreet high five.

"I need you and Echidna to come take a look at something," Claire says, ignoring my comment, and Owen raises an eyebrow.

"Why are you calling me Mr. Grady?" Owen asks cheekily.

"Owen. If you're not too busy-"

"I'm pretty busy."

"We have an attraction-" Claire starts again but Owen interjects again.

"That's not what you said the last time I saw you," he teases and she huffs.

They went on a date a year ago before Althea Foster happened.

"I'm talking about the dinosaurs, Mr. Grady," Claire deadpans in annoyance.

"Owen," he corrects.

"A new species we've made."

"You just went and made a new dinosaur?" Owen questions apprehensively.

"Yeah, it's uh kinda what we do here,"
Claire remarks sarcastically. "The exhibit opens to the public in three weeks. Mr. Masrani wanted me to consult with you and Echidna."