Preface

1981

"So your name is Baby?" One of the three guys I stand in front of asks.

"Yep." I state. "B-A-B-Y."

"I can spell." The same guy states and his Brooklyn kind of accent bleeds through.

I lived in Brooklyn for a little while, I actually really liked it there. I didn't like it there as much as I like it here in LA, that's why I stayed in LA. LA is where everything is happening, music and fashion and basically everything fun. My mom and dad never quite understood it but music is my calling and it called me here to LA.

Music also called me to audition for this band, so I stand in front of three guys. The one that sounds like he's from Brooklyn is short and blonde, he said that he played guitar and he introduced himself as CC Deville. Beside him is a brunette that said his name was Danny and that he was a drummer. Finally, there's a second blonde named Keith and he's a singer.

"I mean you call yourself "CC", are you really in a position to talk?" Danny asks with a laugh and I smile. "Does Baby have a last name?" he flirts and my smile broadens.

"I'm Baby Christian." I proudly state.

"Does Baby Christian have an age?" Keith questions.

"Yeah, I'm sixteen. Er, I will be sixteen in a week." I state.

June 22, 1965, that's the day that my fabulous ass graced this earth.

"Can you play, kid?" CC asks and I nod. "Prove it."

I take my bass out of my case and plug it into the amp, I gently kick my skateboard away from my feet so I don't trip over it. The amp starts to hum to live and I start to strum my guitar, I fall into a rhythm of sorts and start to play Magic Man by Heart. I watch as all three of the men sitting in front me nod along.

I finish the song and I turn my full attention to the men in front of me, they're mumbling to each other. CC groans loudly before looking back at me, he twists his face up before saying.

"You're sixteen?" He asks and I nod. "And you're sure that you want to join this band?"

"Yes." I state and he frowns.

"Then we just ruined your fuckin' life. Welcome to the shit show." The New Yorker tells me.

And that's how a kid from Chicago joins a band!